Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start I have a 2001 wrangler SE that is completely stock. My awesome wife decided to help me start my customizing with a lift, wheels and tires. She reached out to a friend for help but I wanted to reach out to you all to see if the component will work together. She got:

Rubicon Express 2" Economy Kit with Twin Tube Shocks
Firestone Destination A/T's 285/70/R17 Tires
Black Rock Series 942 Type D Steel Wheels 17x9 with 4.5 Backspacing

Sorry for such a newbie question but This is all new to me...I appreciate the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Just installed the rubicon express 2 inch lift on my neighbors jeep tj for him. Very simple. A great tip (which i learned on here) is to use your bottle jack under your seat and position it between the frame and lower control arm and jack it so it gives you enough space to put the puck in. Worked very well and sped the job up significantly from the previous time i installed one of these.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just installed the rubicon express 2 inch lift on my neighbors jeep tj for him. Very simple. A great tip (which i learned on here) is to use your bottle jack under your seat and position it between the frame and lower control arm and jack it so it gives you enough space to put the puck in. Worked very well and sped the job up significantly from the previous time i installed one of these.
Thx for the tip...I should have no problem with 32's with that lift correct?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Ya should be fine. One of the guys jeeps has 2 in budget boost and 31s and the other has 2 inch budget boost and a 1.25 jks body lift (which was extremely easy and only 140 bucks if you wanted more clearamce.) both look good with 31s and have a little space. Im sure 32s would look good too. if you think they look a tad big for your lift. The jks 1.25 body lift would solve your problems and is done in an afternoon. As long as you dont do any hard wheeling you should be fine with no rubbing

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ya should be fine. One of the guys jeeps has 2 in budget boost and 31s and the other has 2 inch budget boost and a 1.25 jks body lift (which was extremely easy and only 140 bucks if you wanted more clearamce.) both look good with 31s and have a little space. Im sure 32s would look good too. if you think they look a tad big for your lift. The jks 1.25 body lift would solve your problems and is done in an afternoon. As long as you dont do any hard wheeling you should be fine with no rubbing
This.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Also the body lift opens many doors. Gives you the ability to do a tummy tuck, motor mount lift, gives access to under the tub between frame.. Just dont do a body lift over 1.25 inches or youll run into some safety issues. If it were me id buy the 1.25 bl and get that extra clearance to go along with your 2 in bb. The proportion from those two looks great IMO with 31s and 32s. Pretty good combo too since your gaining 3.25 inches of lift while keeping your frame only at 2 inches of lift thus making it a bit safer than a 3 inch suspenion lift. Also with this combo you can keep all stock steering and suspension components as it doesnt change it enough to need attention like a 3 inch or above would. I personally like the look of a bit of clearance which is why i opt you get the bl in combination with your bb. There, i think i spit out pretty much everything i can think of that will help you haha.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also the body lift opens many doors. Gives you the ability to do a tummy tuck, motor mount lift, gives access to under the tub between frame.. Just dont do a body lift over 1.25 inches or youll run into some safety issues. If it were me id buy the 1.25 bl and get that extra clearance to go along with your 2 in bb. The proportion from those two looks great IMO with 31s and 32s. Pretty good combo too since your gaining 3.25 inches of lift while keeping your frame only at 2 inches of lift thus making it a bit safer than a 3 inch suspenion lift. Also with this combo you can keep all stock steering and suspension components as it doesnt change it enough to need attention like a 3 inch or above would. I personally like the look of a bit of clearance which is why i opt you get the bl in combination with your bb. There, i think i spit out pretty much everything i can think of that will help you haha.
Thanks so much, great advice. I think I'll go for the body lift. So much to learn!!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Heres a pic of the jeep i installed those lifts on. Same brands and everything your looking at too haha. 2 inch budget boost by Rubicon express and 1.25 body lift from JKS. Both were done in the driveway by ourselves. Took an afternoon per lift. Only difference is his has 31s.

View attachment 280873

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres a pic of the jeep i installed those lifts on. Same brands and everything your looking at too haha. 2 inch budget boost by Rubicon express and 1.25 body lift from JKS. Both were done in the driveway by ourselves. Took an afternoon per lift. Only difference is his has 31s.
Nice--wish I was that hands in, will be recruiting some help. I appreciate all your info.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
No problem. Both are very easy to install but a second set of hands is very nice and helps a bit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To start I have a 2001 wrangler SE that is completely stock. My awesome wife decided to help me start my customizing with a lift, wheels and tires. She reached out to a friend for help but I wanted to reach out to you all to see if the component will work together. She got:

Rubicon Express 2" Economy Kit with Twin Tube Shocks
Firestone Destination A/T's 285/70/R17 Tires
Black Rock Series 942 Type D Steel Wheels 17x9 with 4.5 Backspacing

Sorry for such a newbie question but This is all new to me...I appreciate the help in advance.
Looking for some additional opinions. I have all receipts and can return if there are better options. All help is appreciated!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
RE's twin-tube shocks are extremely stiff riding, I wouldn't install them unless you really like an extra-stiff ride. Those are inexpensive & better riding shocks will be more $$$ but IMHO, worth it. Good riding shocks include the Old Man Emu Nitrocharger, the Rancho 9000XL which has 9 different stiffness settings, the Savvy Offroad Fox shock, or Bilstein 5100, but be sure to get the 5100 version that is specially valved for the Wrangler.

I can't recommend RE's Monotube shocks either. I used to run them & while they ride well on the street, they gave me poor control & bad handling offroad.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You may see some slight rubbing of your tires on your control arms with the 4.5" back space....it will depend on the shape of the tire corners. Nothing a washer or two behind the steering stops won't cure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts