Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to make my jk look tuff and function well. after much research it would seem that 2.5 lift is the way to go unless you want to drop a wad. i'2 m thinking of a 2 inch body lift and 37 tires with 2.5 suspention. functional and tuff???

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
i want to make my jk look tuff and function well. after much research it would seem that 2.5 lift is the way to go unless you want to drop a wad. i'2 m thinking of a 2 inch body lift and 37 tires with 2.5 suspention. functional and tuff???
If you consider a Jeep that won't pass a granny w/a walker and has the mileage of a forest fire functional and tuff...you bet. :D

Good thinking on the lift, though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
when i had 35's on my two door I almost beat the granny w/a walker, but she had the damn tennis balls on the legs for extra traction, i had no chance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you consider a Jeep that won't pass a granny w/a walker and has the mileage of a forest fire functional and tuff...you bet. :D

Good thinking on the lift, though.
its a 6 speed so i think i might gain a little on the old folks, btw is there that much of a power robbing from 35's to 37's??

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
when i had 35's on my two door I almost beat the granny w/a walker, but she had the damn tennis balls on the legs for extra traction, i had no chance.
She had less rolling resistance...:rofl:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Gonna be blunt here.

Don't wanna "drop a wad"? Then forget about the 37" tires. Here's why: A 2.5" lift with a 2" body lift (body lifts are generally crap, by the way) ain't gonna get it done. Aside from the components that come with the lift, you'll need, at a minimum...front and rear driveshafts, sleeve and gusset kit for your front axle, adjustable control arms and trackbars, a new steering stabilizer, and a new set of gears.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say you'd be looking at close to $4K suspension/steering geometry mods alone. Plus tires and wheels? $6K. Don't know about you, but I'd consider that dropping a wad.

its a 6 speed so i think i might gain a little on the old folks, btw is there that much of a power robbing from 35's to 37's??
I have a six speed and 35's. You will, indeed, smoke a granny on the sidewalk. But if she catches you out on the freeway, she's gonna trash your Jeep, especially on hills. Kinda embarrassing when they toddle past you, tennis balls or not. :D

Forgot to include the $1500 it'll take to regear above. So we're at $7,500 so far to be tuff. Not sure if functional would still apply.

Sounds like I'm ragging on you. I am. That's because I don't think you have any idea what you're getting into.

Stick around. Read some threads. Jeeps are both functional and tuff without having to spend upwards of $7K.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Never under estimate the speed of a granny with a walker, they can be to bingo & back in lightning speed :eek: much faster than any Jeep
x2

My grandma could chase me and my brothers down with zero effort...and we were fast!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yeah, dump the body lift - since the bar work is attached to the chassis you end up with a gap between the bars and the body, plus you then end up with a 2in shorter gearstick and transfer case lever - not sure the gear stick will cope with that and may bind, the transfer case lever will prob only just be long enough. Not sure about the steering column either, one end on the chassis other on the body. You get the picture anyways.

Personally I would stick with the 2 to 2.5 in suspension lift and go with flat flares to fit 35's. Have a look through the lift review thread and you should find some pics in there. Though I havent seen any pics of body lifts to be honest. Just not needed on the JK.

481 Posts
1. Every Jeep looks tuff, even the mall crawlers

2. Spend your money once. Take your time. Figure out what you want to do with your Jeep, then mod it to those needs. Function should be what drives your mods, not appearance.

3. Because appearance is also cool, decide if you are going to go Black or Chrome. I assume because you said tuff you will want to come to the dark side. Quick and easy mod that you can reverse if you don't like it, plastidip your grille. It also happends to be functional as it will protect the grille and can be removed.

4. I've run trails, I've crawled rocks, I shuttle the kids around town, and occasionally hit the highways for work. I have a 2.5 coil lift and run 33" BFG on a 16" Black Procomp tire. After changing to a 33" tire I noticed a difference in performance. What do you think is going to happen with a 35" or 37" tire? And quite frankly, who needs a 37" tire? Regearing is a large investment, and then you are probably going to want a locker (assuming your aren't in a Rubi), and that's another K.

5. One lower cost mod that will help with tuff and be functional are some rock rails. I have Ace. They are meaty, do the job, and my wife and kids use them to get in and out of the jeep. And, my favorite part, you know those idiots that just swing their doors open, guess what, they get a big old ding in their door from the rails. Makes me smile everytime.

Anyway, take your time. Figure out what you want to do with the Jeep, and then go dark.

My kids ignore me all the time, feel free to do the same.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Personally I would stick with the 2 to 2.5 in suspension lift and go with flat flares to fit 35's.
This is the best way to run 35s without having to get a bigger lift that will result in suspension geometry issues that, in turn, will mean your lift should be in the $1000 to $2000 range rather than the $250 to $700 range.

That said, if your plan is to run 37s, that's great. There are many folks that do. HOWEVER, you can't do it cheaply unless you want a terribly underperforming jeep that's downright dangerous to drive.

If you want 37s and "stock like" performance, you need to be ready to drop several thousands of dollars. And that's cool--it can be done and it's awesome. But just be ready. If you're not ready, think of another plan.

That's my two cents. Others may say otherwise, but that's not how I'd approach building my jeep.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
kbwwolf said:
Gonna be blunt here.

Don't wanna "drop a wad"? Then forget about the 37" tires. Here's why: A 2.5" lift with a 2" body lift (body lifts are generally crap, by the way) ain't gonna get it done. Aside from the components that come with the lift, you'll need, at a minimum...front and rear driveshafts, sleeve and gusset kit for your front axle, adjustable control arms and trackbars, a new steering stabilizer, and a new set of gears.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say you'd be looking at close to $4K suspension/steering geometry mods alone. Plus tires and wheels? $6K. Don't know about you, but I'd consider that dropping a wad.

I have a six speed and 35's. You will, indeed, smoke a granny on the sidewalk. But if she catches you out on the freeway, she's gonna trash your Jeep, especially on hills. Kinda embarrassing when they toddle past you, tennis balls or not. :D

Forgot to include the $1500 it'll take to regear above. So we're at $7,500 so far to be tuff. Not sure if functional would still apply.

Sounds like I'm ragging on you. I am. That's because I don't think you have any idea what you're getting into.

Stick around. Read some threads. Jeeps are both functional and tuff without having to spend upwards of $7K.
With 37's a new stronger hydraulic steering system might be good to have too. Especially if he is wheeling it. That's at least another $500-$1000

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
I wouldn't go over a 1" body lift. If you really want to run 37's get a Rock Krawler 3.5" lift, Rusty's 3.25", Full Traction 3". Save your money on the BL

-Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gonna be blunt here.

I'll take the ragging and still keep my head up. the thought of the body lift was just to clear the 37's. however it i run a smaller tire perhaps the 2.5 lift with flat fenders would do the trick. Rock krawler has a nice 2.5 with adjustable upper and lower CA's, and trac bar. as for the other mods, I would be fine doing them in time. the wad comment just means that I don't want to drop the 7 to 8 G's right of the start. I'd like to get something that makes the Jeep look taller and still be functional as a daily driver and take a 1 or 2 trip a month off road. (but now rock crawling). your jeep looks nice, what equipment do you have?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1. Every Jeep looks tuff, even the mall crawlers

2. Spend your money once. Take your time. Figure out what you want to do with your Jeep, then mod it to those needs. Function should be what drives your mods, not appearance.

3. Because appearance is also cool, decide if you are going to go Black or Chrome. I assume because you said tuff you will want to come to the dark side. Quick and easy mod that you can reverse if you don't like it, plastidip your grille. It also happends to be functional as it will protect the grille and can be removed.

4. I've run trails, I've crawled rocks, I shuttle the kids around town, and occasionally hit the highways for work. I have a 2.5 coil lift and run 33" BFG on a 16" Black Procomp tire. After changing to a 33" tire I noticed a difference in performance. What do you think is going to happen with a 35" or 37" tire? And quite frankly, who needs a 37" tire? Regearing is a large investment, and then you are probably going to want a locker (assuming your aren't in a Rubi), and that's another K.

5. One lower cost mod that will help with tuff and be functional are some rock rails. I have Ace. They are meaty, do the job, and my wife and kids use them to get in and out of the jeep. And, my favorite part, you know those idiots that just swing their doors open, guess what, they get a big old ding in their door from the rails. Makes me smile everytime.

Anyway, take your time. Figure out what you want to do with the Jeep, and then go dark.

My kids ignore me all the time, feel free to do the same.:rolleyes:
thanks for the info ryan. I'm a typical American so if a 37 is bigger....i want it. then when I get it, I'll want to go to 40's:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts