Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those planning to get a Gladiator, will the relative hassle of the spare being mounted underneath (vs the rear mount of a Wrangler spare) affect your decision on # of tires to keep rotated?

For those of us that don't do our own rotations, I guess you may have to haul the spare in the bed if you expect your tire shop/dealer to rotate all 5?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
5 won't work unless you want to mount a tire every rotation...or buy a 5th wheel to match those on the vehicle. From what I've read and seen in photos, the spare will apparently be a steel wheel.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
5 won't work unless you want to mount a tire every rotation...or buy a 5th wheel to match those on the vehicle. From what I've read and seen in photos, the spare will apparently be a steel wheel.
I'm sure they will offer an option to get a "real" wheel for something like $699.

But for so many people who buy new wheels when they upgrade the tires, they'll probably buy 5 wheels to go with 5 tires anyway. I did that on my 2dr. And for those who want to do a 5 tire on stock wheels, I could see them buying a single wheel from the dealer to complete the set.

Still, if I got a JT, I might surf craigslist to build up a set of 5 "spare" wheels and use them for all 5 of my tires. Pick them up for like $20 each. Maybe even work out a deal with 4 other owners. Trade one of my stock wheels for their spare wheel and some cash...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have an F-150. It has factory alloy wheels, but the spare is mounted on a painted steel rim. (I'm guessing a lot of trucks are like that). I do 5 tire rotations on my JK, but I've never bothered with a 5 tire rotation on the truck. I suppose I'd do the same if I got a Gladiator.

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
The Five(5) "real" wheel aspect of the Wrangler is a nice, oft overlooked feature. Love it-Use it while we still have it.

Perhaps a steel wheel with cheapo canvas cover is in the offing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not that I'm planning on getting a JT within the next 10 years... but if the spare was a fullsize and matching wheel and tire, I would do 5-tire. My 300M came with a full size matching spare, however 5-tire was not possible because the factory tires were directional. Now it has bigger wheels that don't match. Reminds me I need to get AAA for it since I can't use the spare lol.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,397 Posts
Like most, if it had a matching spare rim, I'd do a 5 tire rotation. Since it likely has a steel rim for the spare, it'd be a 4 tire rotation...unless I got the Sport, which has steel rims.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure why I assumed the spare would have a regular/matching rim. Thanks for the thoughts, y'all.

·
Super Moderator
15,712 Posts
The spare will probably be easier to get on/off than my jacked up heap on 40s LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts