Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to find a Willy's JK to test drive. I've only driven the Sport. How much, if any, rougher is the ride? Would it be worth it to test a Rubicon or is that just too much of a different animal?

Side note: I can't believe how much smoother and quieter the ride is than in my 06 LJ!

·
Registered
183 Posts
a sport has the softest ride.. the rubi has the stiffest ride the sahara is in middle

as the willies comes with the same shocks and the rubi and has the same tires it would be best to test a rubi, make sure if u do get a willies that the gear set is 3.73 from 3.73 to 4.11 there isn't that much of a big gap so testing a rubi with 3.73 will be the same as a willie with the same gear set

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a sport has the softest ride.. the rubi has the stiffest ride the sahara is in middle

as the willies comes with the same shocks and the rubi and has the same tires it would be best to test a rubi, make sure if u do get a willies that the gear set is 3.73 from 3.73 to 4.11 there isn't that much of a big gap so testing a rubi with 3.73 will be the same as a willie with the same gear set
Awesome - thank you! I'm hoping there's not much of a difference from the sport as I really like the options and look of the Willy's and this old lady might have to decide between comfort and fun ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2016 Willy's at the end of last year and it isn't horribly noisy and certainly not uncomfortable. Then again I bought a Jeep to have fun with it so I'm not against bouncing around.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
fwiw, my '15 Willys rode a little smoother than my '16 Rubicon (say the butt-o-meter)

Side Note: IF by chance you locate a Rubicon with an automatic trans.. it would come with the 3.73 gears NOT the 4.10's..
Unless it is optioned with the 4.10 gear set.

I bought a 2016 Willy's at the end of last year and it isn't horribly noisy and certainly not uncomfortable. Then again I bought a Jeep to have fun with it so I'm not against bouncing around.
rotated the OEM BFG KM yet?. the noise gets a little excessive.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Merely suggesting that if one ventures into the Build and Price site and they happen to select the 5 speed auto trans the system displays a warning indicating that the gears would change from the 4.10 to the 3.73, However, as you said, and if one stays on the same page (powertrain) long enough, yes they can opt to have the 4.10 placed back into the vehicle during the building process.
Thx for reminding me.. I needed to add a few more to my ignore list.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Merely suggesting that if one ventures into the Build and Price site and they happen to select the 5 speed auto trans the system displays a warning indicating that the gears would change from the 4.10 to the 3.73, However, as you said, and if one stays on the same page (powertrain) long enough, yes they can opt to have the 4.10 placed back into the vehicle during the building process.

:happyyes:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Awesome - thank you! I'm hoping there's not much of a difference from the sport as I really like the options and look of the Willy's and this old lady might have to decide between comfort and fun ;)
2017 Willys owner here, I researched all last summer and test drove sports, Saharas, Willys and Rubicons. Ordered in December picked it up in March. The ride is very comfortable on the Willys with the stock BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. Just make sure the tires are aired down to 35 lbs on all four. They come aired up to 40 lbs sometimes from the factory.

Attachments

Reactions: Ariel Riley

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2017 Willys owner here, I researched all last summer and test drove sports, Saharas, Willys and Rubicons. Ordered in December picked it up in March. The ride is very comfortable on the Willys with the stock BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. Just make sure the tires are aired down to 35 lbs on all four. They come aired up to 40 lbs sometimes from the factory.
Did you notice a difference between the Sport and Willy's?

I think I'm just so shocked by the comparison of the Sport my LJ that I fear it's all going to come crashing down on me with the Willy's, lol. It was great for the mountain roads I drove daily, but it wasn't a daily driver whereas this will be.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Did you notice a difference between the Sport and Willy's?

I think I'm just so shocked by the comparison of the Sport my LJ that I fear it's all going to come crashing down on me with the Willy's, lol. It was great for the mountain roads I drove daily, but it wasn't a daily driver whereas this will be.
I did notice a difference in throttle response and passing gear when driving. The Willys was much more responsive and "peppier" than the Sport I drove. The window sticker of the Sport confirmed 3.21 gearing. The Willys comes with 3.73 gearing. I absolutely love my Willys and after all of the research I have absolutely Zero regrets.

Attachments

Reactions: Ariel Riley

·
Registered
598 Posts
The Sport has some pretty soft shocks that do a good job of soaking up road imperfections, but they also are pretty weak in cornering and buck like a bronco on rough patches off road.
The red Rubi shocks are a bit firmer overall, but provide a much more controlled ride during 'spirited' road driving and offroad.
My .02 anyway.

Keep in mind you can always put a set of less aggressive tires on whatever model you decide.
I'd pick a rig with the features you really want and adjust tires from there if need be.

I certainly wouldn't make a decision based on tire behavior alone.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Another point here.. We special order the 2017 Unlimited sport with the 3.73 gears thus assuming the Willys Wheels gear ratio.. the tires are stock steels and have a lot to be desired. We're planing to upgrade the wheels and tires which would make the unlimited sport assume more of a Willys/Rubicon stance.

This would mean adding better coils and the performance shocks. because the current setup (normal duty shocks) aren't very desirable, just acceptable until they can be replaced.

So in essence, if your going to get a Willys, then by all means do so.. but build a sport with the right options.. you could actually get a Willys in disguise (without the decals) and simply add the rugged wheels and tires later.

Oh and speaking of tires.. the Willys as well as the Rubicon classic have the Mud terrains mounted on the MOAB hard rock wheels just painted black.. But the tires, unless you like these will tend to wear out at around 28K miles so rotate them often or you'll end up with half treads half bald..

·
Registered
544 Posts
Dang...I ordered mine in January and received it in February.....Very similar build (Mine's a JKU)...not sure why yours took so much longer....

Good advice on the tire pressure...mine was over 40 from the factory, I think I run about 36 now - makes a big difference (I could probably go a bit lower).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Dang...I ordered mine in January and received it in February.....Very similar build (Mine's a JKU)...not sure why yours took so much longer....

Good advice on the tire pressure...mine was over 40 from the factory, I think I run about 36 now - makes a big difference (I could probably go a bit lower).
If I remember correctly you signed up for the tracking as I did on the jeep garage forum. I did whine a bit about others going out before mine but hey it's all good. I was getting a brand new custom built JK for what's there to be mad about!?!?! After all I ended up hearing about Koons selling at 7% under invoice (6% under now). Got a new build quote for a willys edition 2017 from Koons shopped it around for a dealer match closer to home and found a dealer 100 miles from me here in Iowa and placed the order. $28,080.00 out the door no trade super low interest rate being a 2017 and I'm happy. Window sticker price $30,663.00 for me it was absolutely ideal and worth the 3 month wait.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If I remember correctly you signed up for the tracking as I did on the jeep garage forum. I did whine a bit about others going out before mine but hey it's all good.
nope..not me. I didn't track anything, just another custom order like yours....anyhow...don't want to hijack the thread...continue on!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
3.73 are standard on the AT and 4.10's are optional.
Sure let's all play the quote game.. You quote me then I'll quote you just so comments don't get deleted or edited just to make one look real smart.

*What Ever*

In other words tell the OPer not me.. just informing the "OPer" of what we had to endure while special ordering our 017.. after all, it WAS what we were told and we're perfectly happy with the outcome.

-out

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I agree with Kevin, had a 2012 JKU sport till I traded to a new 2016 Willys JK 2 door last year and love the difference. 3.73' gears are a little nicer pick up than the 3:21's and the Goodrich MT's are really not that bad, plus better shocks than the Sport. My 2012 had three weeks of new Goodyear Duratrac's on it before I traded, and both seem pretty smooth, but are not like the stock Sport SRA's. I hit my first oil change and tire rotation a month ago, and plan on continuing doing the 5 tire rotation around 3,000 or so miles so I get good wear out of the mud terrains. The Willys is to me a really nice package.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts