Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried installing an OEM Mopar Willys Wheeler "4 Wheel Drive" decal. I got very tiny air bubbles in the center of the clear part of the decal. Ideas on a fix?
I tried a dry install.
Should I have gone wet since the OEM decal have a clear background?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I would have done it wet, but since it's on you can try heating it up and squeezing the air bubbles out. If you have any left you can use a sewing needle to make a small puncture and let the air out.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it was on. I tried the heating trick, saw it on a show, no joy. I could not take it so I peeled off. I'll look for another and give it another go wet.
Question: if I do it wet, how long do I wait to remove the backing? I assume I'd have a wait time to let it dry a bit.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Well, it was on. I tried the heating trick, saw it on a show, no joy. I could not take it so I peeled off. I'll look for another and give it another go wet.
Question: if I do it wet, how long do I wait to remove the backing? I assume I'd have a wait time to let it dry a bit.
You don't have to wait too long. Just make sure you peel the backing off very slow and work out any air bubbles as you go.

·
Super Moderator
21,985 Posts
I only apply decals wet. take some water and rubbing alcohol and mix in a spay bottle. clean the surface really good to get rid of all dust specs. get the surface really wet and apply the decal and use a rubber squeegee to smooth out the air bubbles. you can slide the decal wherever you want when it is wet underneath. keep smoothing with the squeegee until no bubbles left. It is the only way to do it. practice with a decal you don't care about and you will see how easy it is.

I remove the entire backing from the get go.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you do the same for decals that are individual letters ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do you do the same for decals that are individual letters ?
If they are individual letters, leave the backing on until,it is where you want it. Then carefully peel making sure the letters do not move, using the squeegee to get any very small bubbles out. You want to mKe sure it is not so wet at this point that the letters will slide. You use the backing to help maintain the proper spacing and orientation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts