Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking into getting a 2014 2d willys wheeler that apparently has the black wheels (I'm assuming the rubicon wheels) willys wheels LT255/75R17 BSW off road tires.

The thing is I heard these tires are awful on the road which will be what I am primarily doing. I live in jersey. The snow fall ranges from nothing to intense, obviously rains as well. I do not want to get this if this is bad for on road performance. Any thoughts?

If this is a bad idea, will have to look into the Sport. Hopefully those tires are good for the road which I am sure they are.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Am looking into getting a 2014 2d willys wheeler that apparently has the black wheels (I'm assuming the rubicon wheels) willys wheels LT255/75R17 BSW off road tires.

The thing is I heard these tires are awful on the road which will be what I am primarily doing. I live in jersey. The snow fall ranges from nothing to intense, obviously rains as well. I do not want to get this if this is bad for on road performance. Any thoughts?

If this is a bad idea, will have to look into the Sport. Hopefully those tires are good for the road which I am sure they are.
I have almost 2500 miles on my 14 willys and have no issues with the tires for what it's worth.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Same tires as on the Rubicon. Bad in the wet, packed snow, and ice. Everything else they are ok, just a little louder than normal.

Sport will have more road friendly tires.

If you're buying it for a road car why not get one of the thousands of other small suv options, instead of getting the rougher ride of solid axles, small trunk with a soft top, and poor side impact safety?

Not saying a Jeep isn't a blast, I've just never understood why people buy them for purely road use.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Or, sell your stock Rubicon tires and buy Duratracs in the stock size (255/75/17)? I wouldn't let the tires on there stop you. Tires are easy enough to change out.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
The biggest issue with the KM's is that they don't have sipes. They are MT tires, so they are great in deep snow, but not as good on ice, slick roads, or packed snow...especially on the shorter wheelbase 2 doors.

But swapping tires (or wheels) is really no big deal. Some people keep their stock Rubi wheels/tires for off-roading, and run other wheels for the street.

Duratrac's now come in stock sizes....maybe 2015's will come (or have available) good AT tires.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My last Rubi was used and while it had 20K miles on it the tires were not that bad.

They were very loud
They did well in the snow I that we had while I had it
No issues in the rain.

They also did very well in the mud when I took it offroad.

I dont think the tires are BAD, just maybe not as good as some other choices.
You most likely would be fine- the fact you are thinking about it shows you probably are not the kind to go 100 MPH in rain or snow and wouldn't have these issues....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I don't deal with snow here, but they have been ok in the rain so far.
I will be changing them out for something else shortly though, probably Duratrac's.

·
Registered
330 Posts
They're fine on road. Siped tires will be better on road but my Rubicon's KM1's have over 60k miles on them and they've performed more than adequately in every type of road condition. Just give yourself plenty of following distance on the freeway, as you should anyway with a 4k lb vehicle with a high center of gravity. With as many miles I have on mine, I'll be replacing them soon, but I was impressed enough that BFG has another life long customer. I'll be getting km2's next but I wish KM1's came in a 33".

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts

Find a local shop that sipes tires and get yours siped and you'll have extra traction for wet, icy or snowy roads. I live in a small town and don't have a shop that will do it so I'm going to buy a tire groover and do them myself.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
A lot of good advice here. For what it's worth I have 2000+ miles on my Willys with no tire issues. I've had then in snow and heavy rain and never lost traction. That being said siped tires like duratracs will perform better in daily driving, but don't let tires stop you from getting the Willys.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The tires are fine if you realize its not a sports car. My wife still complains about the noise some though.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Same tires as on the Rubicon. Bad in the wet, packed snow, and ice. Everything else they are ok, just a little louder than normal.

If you're buying it for a road car why not get one of the thousands of other small suv options, instead of getting the rougher ride of solid axles, small trunk with a soft top, and poor side impact safety?

Not saying a Jeep isn't a blast, I've just never understood why people buy them for purely road use.
probably because they want the style and features of a jeep, nowhere have i ever saw where a jeep was not built to be used solely as a road vehicle. everybody has different needsd and desires for their stuff. does not make them wrong just because htey dont off-road.

Or, sell your stock Rubicon tires and buy Duratracs in the stock size (255/75/17)? I wouldn't let the tires on there stop you. Tires are easy enough to change out.
you should be able to sell tires easily on craigslist i would think. i have not had any issues w/ my tires so far. no snow but had plenty of rain. my girl hasnt complained of it either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreed. Don't let the tires discourage you from a Willys. I'm 2,500 miles into them in Chicago and have no complaints. You'll love it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Find a local shop that sipes tires and get yours siped and you'll have extra traction for wet, icy or snowy roads. I live in a small town and don't have a shop that will do it so I'm going to buy a tire groover and do them myself.
X2 on getting them sipped. I had the same tires and it made a big difference in the wet and hard pack snow.

If you will really never go off road and don't care about the looks then I would suggest taking to the dealer about trading them out for better road tires or sell them yourself and get something better suited to your driving style.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts

LOL. 'Oh, hi Ma'am, do you like this $40000 Rubicon X? Well don't buy it if you're just going to drive it to the tanning salon or to pampered chef parties, it's strictly for OFF ROAD USE ONLY. Go to the Subaru dealer across the street and buy a Forester instead. You'll have more room to put your groceries.' :mooning:

People buy things that they want, more than what they need. The Wrangler has always been an awesome SUV and that's why people of all ages and sexes want one. Once you come to that realization, that's all the understanding you need. :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
LOL. 'Oh, hi Ma'am, do you like this $40000 Rubicon X? Well don't buy it if you're just going to drive it to the tanning salon or to pampered chef parties, it's strictly for OFF ROAD USE ONLY. Go to the Subaru dealer across the street and buy a Forester instead. You'll have more room to put your groceries.' :mooning:

People buy things that they want, more than what they need. The Wrangler has always been an awesome SUV and that's why people of all ages and sexes want one. Once you come to that realization, that's all the understanding you need. :)

:appl::beerdrinking:

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
As a quick FYI...there are a couple of other threads on this you can review. The KM's have discussed a ton being that they are the stock Rubi tires and have also been included on multiple special editions.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rubi-snow-and-ice-tires-203200.html?highlight=rubi+tires
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jku-tires-vs-rubi-tires-in-snow-134078.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/thoughts-on-the-bfg-km-rubicon-tires-224348.html

It is really no different than buying a sports car with aggressive dry road traction tread designs. There are better tires suited for slick conditions, but if you are smart, you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I was going to switch mine out for Duratracs or SilentArmors but after I saw a video on siping and found a groover on Amazon for $75 (which also has 4.5 stars), I know I can do it myself. Plus I wouldn't have to sipe every lug. I've read that some people have just had the center lugs siped. I'm not looking forward to the smell of burning rubber though, haha

1 - 20 of 73 Posts