Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Wrangler Sport, manual transmission, 28k miles

Parking brake not capable of holding vehicle on a hill - not even a modest one. Taken it to dealer three times, they always "adjust" it, tell me not to depend on the parking brake, and it is never fixed. Anybody else have this problem? Any fix? I suspect it may be they don't think they need an effective parking brake because most of these came with automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
JK parking break is junk! Mine has never been able to hold the Jeep. I actually drove off with it on once and didn't notice until it chimed at me. That was the last day I ever used it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2011 and it is basically useless. I still use it for some reason. I do have a manual so I hope if it ever jumps into neutral maybe it will slow it down some before it hits something.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Mine was terrible from mile 0 and would pop when you pulled it. It wouldn't hold on any sort of incline. It was replaced under warranty and now it holds on even the steepest san francisco hills (not that i'd trust it alone). It does pop sometimes and you have to reset it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The parking brake on my 2015JKU is wonderful. Four clicks up and it will stall the Jeep in first gear. Parking brakes are easy to adjust, those of you having problems may want to adjust your parking brake. Don't depend on the dealer doing it.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
The horrible parking brake is one of the reasons why I ended up with an auto.

The problem is glazing, so adjusting (which is easy) won't fix the issue. Once the drum pads are glazed, they need to be swapped....but the process of swapping the pads is a PIA because you basically have to pull the axle to easily get everything back together.

It is super-duper important that the brake is adjusted properly from jump. If not, you will glaze your pads and they will never hold (until changed). Basically, if they are not adjusted right from the factory, or you drive with the brake on even once...you are toast.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
When I did the rear brakes I had to back off the adjusted to get the rotors off the hub. Never adjusted them back, so I have no functioning e-brake anymore, so basically same as it was before. For a modern vehicle this kind of e-brake system just seems archaic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts