Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
12,448 Posts
As noted they make plates to work with the stock bumper. however should you decide to get a aftermarket bumper, get one that mounts the winch down in between the frame rails as this will help with getting air flow to the radiator vs one that is higher up and blocks or deflects the air.

·
Registered
959 Posts
As noted they make plates to work with the stock bumper. however should you decide to get a aftermarket bumper, get one that mounts the winch down in between the frame rails as this will help with getting air flow to the radiator vs one that is higher up and blocks or deflects the air.
I thought this once too. However, I've put 20k+ on mine since install, including standstill beach traffic and highway speeds, never does my temp gauge vary. And some very slow going offroad in high temps. Airflow impact seems pretty low.
The in frame mount is more slick, for sure, better looks, but I have seen no impact by not going that route.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
983 Posts
I thought this once too. However, I've put 20k+ on mine since install, including standstill beach traffic and highway speeds, never does my temp gauge vary. And some very slow going offroad in high temps. Airflow impact seems pretty low.
The in frame mount is more slick, for sure, better looks, but I have seen no impact by not going that route.

I agree 100%. While I don't crawl in the rocks much in the summer, I do have to crawl through bumper to bumper traffic. 4 MPH around the Broadway curve on I-10 is a common speed going home with temps well above 110F. The winch in front of the radiator makes no difference crawling or at the speed limit in the Arizona summers. On the other hand, a hidden winch is much harder to work on if you end up with a birds nest on a long or off center pull.

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
I'm hoping you meant a 12,000 Lbs winch, 'cause a 1,200 Lbs winch would be as useful as the proverbial t***s on a board...

I had my 9,500 Lbs winch mounted to the stock bumper for several years using the Rock Hard winch plate:

·
Administrator
12,448 Posts

You are correct the cluster gauge is set not to move as long as the temp is in the "normal range".. so on my 2015 3.6 this means 200-230's its not going to move more than a few hair lines. However on the digital its showing the bounce up and down. My experience when I dropped the winch has been it will still run in the "normal range" but it will take longer to reach the speed the fan kicks in, approx 226 and the the cool down to low 200's takes a shorter time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts