Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Maybe $100 shipped for everything you need

Hydraulic crimper and the terminal end

Unless you have somewhere that might repair it for you cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Commercial Member
553 Posts
According to warn you need to keep 5 wraps of wire rope and 10 wraps of synthetic line. Something interesting that I hadn't seen is that the full rating of the winch is only for the first layer of wraps, each additional layers decreases the capacity of the winch by app 15%. 8k is only rated to 6777 with a second layer on the winch drum.

The column on the right shows the decrease. That is from the warn zeon 8k series but I would imagine that it is close to the same from brand to brand.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
That is why using a snatch block can more than double the winch pull force at the anchor.
It cant MORE than double it....only if you are using two snatch blocks will you get more than double. A single snatch block in a perfect frictionless environment will exactly double the pulling force. In the real world probably more like 1.8x the pulling force.:drinks:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
According to warn you need to keep 5 wraps of wire rope and 10 wraps of synthetic line. Something interesting that I hadn't seen is that the full rating of the winch is only for the first layer of wraps, each additional layers decreases the capacity of the winch by app 15%. 8k is only rated to 6777 with a second layer on the winch drum.

The column on the right shows the decrease. That is from the warn zeon 8k series but I would imagine that it is close to the same from brand to brand.
Yep, i have seen tests where there has been a full drum of synthetic line (or even more than a full drum) and the mounting bolt still broke.

I always try to use a snatch block if my winch anchor is close to the jeep. it does two things: almost doubles the pulling force, plus it gets more line off the drum so you are not losing pulling power from having too many wraps.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It cant MORE than double it....only if you are using two snatch blocks will you get more than double. A single snatch block in a perfect frictionless environment will exactly double the pulling force. In the real world probably more like 1.8x the pulling force.:drinks:
In the real world, using a snatch block WILL more than double force. You use more line, thereby reducing the layers on the drum. The reduced winch load's lever arm will more than compensate for any incidental coefficients of friction in your snatch axle. Unless your snatch is really nasty.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
In the real world, using a snatch block WILL more than double force. You use more line, thereby reducing the layers on the drum. The reduced winch load's lever arm will more than compensate for any incidental coefficients of friction in your snatch axle. Unless your snatch is really nasty.

Similar to what i said in my second post above:

I always try to use a snatch block if my winch anchor is close to the jeep. it does two things: almost doubles the pulling force, plus it gets more line off the drum so you are not losing pulling power from having too many wraps.

I guess it depends on what your baseline is. I was thinking winch ratings and the perfect world when i made my first statement. You can never more than double your winches rating with a single snatch block. But you are right, you could potentially more than double your "real world" pulling power by using a snatch and having that snatch pull enough line off the drum to get you to that perfect single wrap.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Maybe $100 shipped for everything you need

Hydraulic crimper and the terminal end

Unless you have somewhere that might repair it for you cheaper
You can just get a new winch line for that price.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92120_XX_A_PG.htm

That is why using a snatch block can more than double the winch pull force at the anchor.
you could potentially more than double your "real world" pulling power by using a snatch and having that snatch pull enough line off the drum to get you to that perfect single wrap.:thumb:
No matter what you think, you cannot turn a Warn M8000 into a Warn M16000 by simply using a snatch block. The snatch block does not double the pulling power, it simply halves the load when it is in a 2:1 configuration. A lot of people will cry semantics but there is a BIG difference.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The pulling force losses with each layer of winch rope is what had me decide to go for a 12K# winch on my 2 door rather than the common 8K# option. I wanted to be sure that no matter what, I should be able winch my pile of bolts straight up a cliff if I so choose. So far, it has given me happy endings every time the cable has been employed. Happy happy.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

No matter what you think, you cannot turn a Warn M8000 into a Warn M16000 by simply using a snatch block. The snatch block does not double the pulling power, it simply halves the load when it is in a 2:1 configuration. A lot of people will cry semantics but there is a BIG difference.

You are right and i would need to correct my statement about doubling the pull power. It halves the load. A minor distinction maybe, but as you said. A big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
No reasonable person would assume your winch power would truly double, nor should they think the load resistance actually halves. "Twice the power" is merely another way to express the 2:1 mechanical advantage of a simple, single movable pulley used in a second-class lever system.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Buy a battery terminal lug for a dollar and crimp it with a hammer. The lug exists simply to help spool the rope on the drum. What keeps the rope on the drum during a pull is friction and cinching that happens with several wraps around the drum. My synthetic rope is held on with just duct tape.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Buy a battery terminal lug for a dollar and crimp it with a hammer. The lug exists simply to help spool the rope on the drum. What keeps the rope on the drum during a pull is friction and cinching that happens with several wraps around the drum. My synthetic rope is held on with just duct tape.
That's what I would do but I was simply showing that he could get a new line for that cost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts