Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was winching a rolling frame the other day, the jeep was idling. I had no issues. I needed to slide the rear end over so i snatch blocked off a tree and proceeded to winch the rear over. It was on gravel and would only pull maybe 6" then stop. I was still idling and checked my amp gauge, it was below 9. I hopped in the jeep and ran the rpms's up and tried pulling again and would do very little, amps still dropped below 9. I was on the outer most wrap of the winch line. I wouldnt think it would have an issue sliding a rolling chassis on gravel??? My question is will low amps/ failing charging system cause the winch to stall out? Ten minutes later after i had the rear end removed i did the same pull only with the leaf springs on the gravel and running the rpms at 2k and it drug it right over... Confused.

·
Commercial Member
7,883 Posts
How old is the battery?

When I got my jeep, it ran fine, started no issues. But installed a winch, simply dragging the jeep with the e brake on to tension the line caused the voltage to drop way down and winch barely pulled.

Pulled battery and you could tell it was time for a new one, 5+ year old cheap o Walmart brand, and had a bulge in the side. Yikes.

Replaced with a diehard platinum and winch pulls great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts