Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to relocate my winch control box. I'd like to order all of the parts beforehand.

What gauge wire do I use to extend the control box cables? Another user in the forum posted that I should use marine grade copper.

I'm guessing 6 gauge but I want to make sure before I order it as copper is kind of pricey

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
6 gauge = too small. I will try to use the 2 cables coming from the battery to the winch now and just buy one additional the same size.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have been kicking around relocating the control box on my VR10000. Just looking for a good spot to relocate it to on the 12-15 jk's is not easy being so crowded under the hood.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
I just got done rebuilding my Warn 15K winch. It looks so damn good, I want to relocate my control box also. I'm putting it under the hood and thinking of extending the winch controller wires to inside the cab. What says you guys ?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
I mounted the control box for my VR10000s under the hood. It's tight but looks like it's supposed to go there. Lets me hide my winch and use my in-cab controls.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I mounted the control box for my VR10000s under the hood. It's tight but looks like it's supposed to go there. Lets me hide my winch and use my in-cab controls.
photos please.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I put my solenoid where my stock air box was... See the pic for total setup.

Source for cable is here, best price anywhere that I could find.

Amazon.com: Camco 47475 Black 5/16" Stud 36" Long 2-Gauge Marine Battery Cable and Lug Assembly Tinned: Automotive

I went 2 gauge.

Then you need a bunch of wire to run to the cab. I am just going to be wireless from under the hood. Warn range is about 80 ft.

Also did a Best Marine 6006 for emergency cut off.
amazon said 1 to 3 months for shipping? yikes.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I made a bracket for mine on the drivers side in front of the ABS. Here's a pic of it under construction. Just a flat piece of steel bent in a vice and welded with a cheap stick welder and rattle can black paint. I ran 2ga welding wire to the battery and winch. I also wired in a $19.99 Tractor Supply wireless winch controller. Works great. I'll try to take pic of the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I so need to do this!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts