Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a little too DIYer and I took apart my M8000... and oh crap shouldn't have done that. Separated the motor part from the brushes. Now how am I supposed to get them back together :rofl:

I understand how it goes back into the brushes, but I don't know how to get the brushes pushed out far enough to jam this back into it.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
What did you have to do to get it out? Also what was wrong with it that you took it apart?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Sometimes there is a small hole on the brush plate that you put a small wire or paperclip in to hold the brushes till you install the armature then remove the paperclips. Otherwise, on motors that didn't have the holes for a paperclip, I have used a socket that was a little larger than the armature to hold the brushes back and then install the armature pushing the socket out the back.

Donn

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ great idea I'll try that out!

And no nothing was wrong with them. Just got a little overexcited taking it apart :banghead: it was just two long bolts holding that assembly together and plop.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Been doing this over 30 years........I put electrical tape on the brushes (those thingies sticking out) and it holds them up until you get the commutator (that copper thingie with the slots in it) pushed in. When you get it in....simply pull the tape out making sure not to leave any pieces of it under brushes.

Now is a good time to blow all of the carbon dust (as the brushes wear dust forms) out of this thing. Be careful and wear a dust mask. Low pressure air.......

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bc3_Jeep said:
Been doing this over 30 years........I put electrical tape on the brushes (those thingies sticking out) and it holds them up until you get the commutator (that copper thingie with the slots in it) pushed in. When you get it in....simply pull the tape out making sure not to leave any pieces of it under brushes.

Now is a good time to blow all of the carbon dust (as the brushes wear dust forms) out of this thing. Be careful and wear a dust mask. Low pressure air.......
Oh wow awesome idea as well. Im going to work on it tomorrow and ill post how it went. Any other help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
burton160w said:
Oh wow awesome idea as well. Im going to work on it tomorrow and ill post how it went. Any other help is greatly appreciated.
Oh why didnt u guys tell me that cover popped off! I looked at it for an hour figuring out how to do it

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Oh why didnt u guys tell me that cover popped off! I looked at it for an hour figuring out how to do it
I guess I assumed that you had the end cover already off but you know what they say when you assume!
That motor should rebuild with no problems as I have rebuilt many, many of the bosch motors that are sometimes the same as the warn motors.

Donn

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I got a little too DIYer and I took apart my M8000... and oh crap shouldn't have done that. Separated the motor part from the brushes. Now how am I supposed to get them back together :rofl:

I understand how it goes back into the brushes, but I don't know how to get the brushes pushed out far enough to jam this back into it.
Did you ever get that motor back together?

Donn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts