Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im installing my winch but really don't like how the battery looks with so many things hooked directly up to it. With the little research I did it seemed that the only way you could make some kind of external battery terminal would be by installing a fuse box. So my question here is would this fuse box (ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover - Blue Sea Systems) put out enough power to allow the winch to operate?

I am wiring an Engo E9000 Winch

·
Registered
11 Posts
No that won't work, it will break the fuse the first time you click the winch, winches draw 350 amps at full load. They need to be connected straight to the battery or have very very high fuses on them

·
Registered
64 Posts
So im installing my winch but really don't like how the battery looks with so many things hooked directly up to it. With the little research I did it seemed that the only way you could make some kind of external battery terminal would be by installing a fuse box. So my question here is would this fuse box (ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover - Blue Sea Systems) put out enough power to allow the winch to operate?

I am wiring an Engo E9000 Winch

I am using that same fuse block.

You do not want to connect the winch to that terminal block!! You will connect the winch directly to the battery. Connect other leads that currently go to the battery to the fuse block, as long as no single circuit exceeds 30 amps.

While the fuse block is not water tight, or even water resistant, it survives under hood very well. Mine has been in use for 10 years.

Phil

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Actually Jeep size winches can easily draw well over 400 amps when fully loaded... so if you're going to move connections off the main battery posts, move everything else off but not the winch power cable connectors.

When it's time to replace your battery, get one with separate terminals for the winch like the Sears Diehard Platinum 3478-DT. That's a good heavy duty battery that is extremely popular with Jeepers with winches because it holds up. The brand of battery I would avoid now is the Optima whose quality, in my personal opinion, took a giant nosedive since they were bought by Johnson Controls who moved their manufacturing to Mexico.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Jerry, I thought the Diehard warranty specifically prohibited hooking the winch to the extra (side) terminals of the Platinum - seems as if there was too much current draw for those side terminals? At any rate I have my winch attached to my top posts on my Diehard Platinum and the side terminals are just there for in case sake.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Is there any reason not to power up a winch off the starter terminal, that's a full size cable direct from the battery. Just wondering ?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Is there any reason not to power up a winch off the starter terminal, that's a full size cable direct from the battery. Just wondering ?
That starter cable isn't as big as it needs to be. Winches always need to be connected directly to the battery, both the negative and positive cables. And NEVER just connect a winch's ground lead to the chassis, it needs to connect directly onto the battery's negative connector.

Keep in mind a winch can easily draw well over 400 amperes, there's no factory provided wiring capable of supporting that kind of amperage.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
That starter cable isn't as big as it needs to be. Winches always need to be connected directly to the battery, both the negative and positive cables. And NEVER just connect a winch's ground lead to the chassis, it needs to connect directly onto the battery's negative connector.

Keep in mind a winch can easily draw well over 400 amperes, there's no factory provided wiring capable of supporting that kind of amperage.
Just wondering, I think you suggestion for the dual post battery is the way to go as I don't like those multi connection battery terminals. To much congestion and it looks sloppy.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
The winch connector can go under the bolt holding the main battery connector but you're right, a dual-post battery is better. One of the best is the Sears Diehard Platinum 3478-DT. Don't install an Optima, their side posts are not up to the load a winch can draw. Optima's FAQ even warns against connecting a winch to the side posts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts