Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday installed new winch. Got one with synthetic line. Very poor instructions came with it. Line was not on the winch and there was nothing about how to attach it. Called Smittybilt and figured it out. Then I saw a video about pre tensioning/ stretching it. Again nothing about this in instructions. Anyone done this? Is it necessary?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wind it up under some tension the first time. Pull your Jeep, in neutral, up a hill or ride the brake a bit (while winching in) if you have no hill. Attach the line to a friend's vehicle, tree or other large/non-moving object.

If you simply turn the winch on wind the line loosely, you risk creating a bind when you actually need the winch to work. When you make your winch move thousands of pounds, it may pull the top line on the spool down into the interior lines. This can cause your spool to wind backwards or create a potentially dangerous situation if the bind lets go at an inopportune time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So how did you attach the line to the winch spool? I installed mine today and have the same problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
So how did you attach the line to the winch spool? I installed mine today and have the same problem. Thanks.
What exactly is your problem?

Edit: Sorry, it was the first half of your statement. On the spool, there should be a hole in it. The end of the line should fit through it and screw down somewhere. Or if there's no hole, then screw it where it should.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
No need for the attachment screw or eyelet. Use duct tape on the rope for for the first 4-5 turns around the drum.

As far as tensioning the line, the purpose is to make the wraps around the drum tight so the rope doesn't get sucked down into the wrapped rope during a winch pull.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a screw hole in the side of spool. The end of the rope has a metal fitting crimped to the rope. The fitting has a screw hole, so it attaches to the side of spool with a screw.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,408 Posts
There is a screw hole in the side of spool. The end of the rope has a metal fitting crimped to the rope. The fitting has a screw hole, so it attaches to the side of spool with a screw.
True, it would have that screw to help hold the line in place. Just so you know, that screw & metal fitting is just there as an "assist" to help hold the rope in place while you get the first 4-5 wraps down on the drum, the screw is never supposed to have any actual load on it. The first layer of line is what really holds the line in place under load, the screw could be removed after that & not harm anything... though I wouldn't actually remove the screw.

Make sure the line comes off the bottom of the drum so its direction in/out coincides with the switch's in/out positions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts