Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

this week i want to install my winches and there are still some questions.

do i have to install, a switch in the + cable to the battery?
or a relay in the + cable and a switch inside the jeep?
do i need a fuse in the + cable?

i want to place the winch relay box under the hood on a fender and not outside above the winch. for that i need some more cables. which diameter must the cables have?

thanks in advance.
nicolas-eric :wavey:

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
what brand of winch? It should be marked on the wires what size the wires are. I do believe they make wire extensions for mounting under the hood. The guy tried to sell me them, but I didn't see the need to mount it under hood. I have no fuse or switch on the cable to the battery. It took 20 minutes to hook up, 3 days to break. :D Too bad Warn forget to mention, Do Not Hang Jeep From Tree. :D

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
He's in Germany. Everything is different over there.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Guess I should have seen that. My bad

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
The supply voltages are different, you'll need a converter... (just kidding).

I thought you recently bought a Milemarker 9500C didn't you? If you did, the install takes an hour. There is no in-line fuse or switch on the main power cables. Everything is in the solenoid box and the remote cable does all the work.

I understand you want to relocate the box but IMO, that seems like a lot of work for little benefit. Buy a cover to keep the mud off of it and you should be OK.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Drains don't spin in Germany. They are too clogged with schweinbraten, spatzel and heffeweissen beer.

(Man, I miss their beer....Germany literally defines the word Beer aka "Bier" ... the rest of the world just makes a bad copy of it).

Prost!

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I guess I don't see the reason or the need to kill the power to the winch with a switch? You still need the remote to operate.

What is the advantage that is worth all the extra wiring?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
That would not be good, to not be able to turn off your winch. Do they have switches over there to turn off their wench's, too? :D:D Sorry, I could not resist. I just had to order new relays, solenoids, for our winch, burned up three of them. But it did not run, without the controls. Perhaps that is the difference between Ramsey, and Warn. I just don't know.

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
I like the idea of putting the box under the hood. Would that really be a pain to do?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
another reason for that switch.
i don´t want that another jeeper with the same winch and radio remote controls my winch...
Hopefully, they would use different frequencies, :confused: :eek:
Like garage door openers. Can you imagine if all garage doors worked off of the same frequency?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts