Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mile Marker winch that was on my Jeep when I bought it. My Jeep had very low miles so I have a feeling the winch was probably never used... Is there any kind of maintenance that I should do on it? Also, should I get some kind of cover for it to keep it out of the elements? The sun is cracking the little sticker on the top and I don't know if extended exposure would be bad for it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have a Mile Marker winch that was on my Jeep when I bought it. My Jeep had very low miles so I have a feeling the winch was probably never used... Is there any kind of maintenance that I should do on it? Also, should I get some kind of cover for it to keep it out of the elements? The sun is cracking the little sticker on the top and I don't know if extended exposure would be bad for it.
Page 37: Just says to keep the rope/wire clear and no lubrication necessary.

http://1.cdn.lib.extremeterrain.com/guides/J13228_Guide.pdf

·
Super Moderator
12,721 Posts
If you think the winch has never been used, I suggest you find a slight incline that has a good place to attach a cable end. Attach your cable end and put the winch in freewheel (or whatever the label says) and allow the Jeep to roll back slowly until all the cable is played out. Then, with the engine running and the Jeep in neutral, engage the winch and use it to pull the Jeep up the slight incline until the cable is all rolled back on the spool. If you plan on guiding the cable with one hand while operating the control with the other hand so that the cable rolls up evenly on the spool, be sure to have good gloves and don't allow your hand to get anywhere near the fairlead.

The reason for this is at the winch factory, they simply roll the cable onto the spool and send it out to be sold. If you put tension on the loosely rolled up cable, the outer roll can squish into the inner rolls and the next time you go to use the winch, the cable will be stuck.
This happened to me with a synthetic line on the winch that I have on my RZR. I believe it can also happen to steel cables.
If you have a steel cable rather than a synthetic one, I suggest spraying the rolled up cable with light oil from time to time. The oil will attract dirt, so the cable will require cleaning from time to time, but is less likely to rust.

There was a recent post in the YJ forum about a poster that had an issue with his winch and took the relay cover off only to find the relay box had water in it (possibly from washing or rain). If you are unsure about the installation, I suggest that you disconnect the electric connections and reconnect them with a dab dielectric grease on each.

There is mixed thoughts on a cover. It may protect from UV sun damage but can hold condensation and cause other problems. Search "winch" in the search feature of this forum.
I leave my winch uncovered, but live in a semi-arid climate and my Jeep lives in my house garage.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Airslot and Mr.Maim

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the link :thumb:

If you think the winch has never been used, I suggest you find a slight incline that has a good place to attach a cable end. Attach your cable end and put the winch in freewheel (or whatever the label says) and allow the Jeep to roll back slowly until all the cable is played out. Then, with the engine running and the Jeep in neutral, engage the winch and use it to pull the Jeep up the slight incline until the cable is all rolled back on the spool. If you plan on guiding the cable with one hand while operating the control with the other hand so that the cable rolls up evenly on the spool, be sure to have good gloves and don't allow your hand to get anywhere near the fairlead.

The reason for this is at the winch factory, they simply roll the cable onto the spool and send it out to be sold. If you put tension on the loosely rolled up cable, the outer roll can squish into the inner rolls and the next time you go to use the winch, the cable will be stuck.
This happened to me with a synthetic line on the winch that I have on my RZR. I believe it can also happen to steel cables.
If you have a steel cable rather than a synthetic one, I suggest spraying the rolled up cable with light oil from time to time. The oil will attract dirt, so the cable will require cleaning from time to time, but is less likely to rust.

There was a recent post in the YJ forum about a poster that had an issue with his winch and took the relay cover off only to find the relay box had water in it (possibly from washing or rain). If you are unsure about the installation, I suggest that you disconnect the electric connections and reconnect them with a dab dielectric grease on each.

There is mixed thoughts on a cover. It may protect from UV sun damage but can hold condensation and cause other problems. Search "winch" in the search feature of this forum.
I leave my winch uncovered, but live in a semi-arid climate and my Jeep lives in my house garage.

Good Luck, L.M.
Thanks for the info. I did do a little spooling on it after I got it because on of the loops was a little off but I haven't let it out all the way (with 5 rolls left) yet. Maybe one of these days I will check everything over to make sure it all looks good. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You didn't say if you had wire rope or synth line on your winch. If you have wire then while it's stretched out it should be lightly lubed. Milemarker says to use penetrating oil but I have always used CorrosionX-HD for mine. What ever you use, it displaces the water trapped in the lay and reduces the wear that occurs when the wire goes under tension. CorrosionX-HD does that, removes the light corrosion and helps reduce further corrosion.

If it's sysnth then a wash with mild soap and water, rinse, and let it completely dry before rerapping the line under tension.

·
Super Moderator
12,721 Posts

??? Was that a typo? I looked at Page 37 and it states "Lubricate the cable periodically using light penetrating oil".
I looked at Page 37 because not lubing the cable from time to time is in contradiction to what I think I know and I thought I could learn something.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
??? Was that a typo? I looked at Page 37 and it states "Lubricate the cable periodically using light penetrating oil".
I looked at Page 37 because not lubing the cable from time to time is in contradiction to what I think I know and I thought I could learn something.

Good Luck, L.M.
When I said lubrication, I meant that there is no need to open the case of the winch. Sorry it did say to lubricate the cable.

From page 37 of the link I gave:
"No further internal lubrication is required for the life of the winch."

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Just a reminder not to apply load on your cable with less than 3 to 5 wraps on the drum so that it doesnt pull out of the socket.Safe wheeling
3-5 bare minimum. I would honestly want half a drum full of cable if not more if its gonna be a hard pull. I have seen some tests where the tension of a heavy pull was able to shear the mounting bolt on the drum even with more than 1 layer of winch line on the drum (probably 10+ wraps).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts