Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to mount my XRC 9,500 lb winch to a mounting plate that connects to the factory rear 2" receiver hitch on a 2014 rubicon unlimited. The plate is rated to 12,000 lb. Can the receiver hitch handle the force of winching the vehicle?

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The only thing holding the plate in would be the lock pin. The receiver is bolted to the frame cross member but the hitch is not. I'd be concerned.

Bob K.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That's the way I carry my winch....in the rear receiver hitch. It switches between the Jeep and the pickup. I've never used the winch other than to pull deer blinds up onto trailers (pretty heavy blinds and getting them started up the trailer ramp is stressful on everything). I've attached a pic. We've done this quite a few times and have never had a problem.
The receiver hitch we use is one that has a receiver hitch mounted on top of a receiver hitch....kinda like a double receiver. This is so you can have your trailer hooked up and slide your winch in on top of that. I've included a pic of this as well.
Granted, our blinds don't have the weight of a Jeep, but they ain't got wheels either. Dragging it across the ground and then up a ramp into a trailer isn't exactly smooth.
I wouldn't hesitate winching the truck or the Jeep from a receiver hitch.....unless maybe you're trying to pull it up the side of a rock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'd consider what your hitch is rated to pull and not use a winch with more capacity. I don't know but suspect that hitches are not rated for a side pull like you could easily encounter. Personally, I've never had a straight self recovery pull... ever. I've winched others out straight, but the tree or rock I've needed for self recovery is never in a straight line to the winch mount point.

Your JK weighs in near 5K lbs. That is also the max rating for your hitch. You are contemplating putting a piece of equipment designed to pull nearly twice the rating of your hitch... no safety factor whatsoever. Get that vehicle stuck in mud and see what can happen to the "weight" of the vehicle. A stuck vehicle can really tax your equipment!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts