Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started laying out my plate, and as you can see ( I hope ) the 4 frame bolt holes and 2 sway bar holes line up just fine. My question is the front 2 holes where the winch itself bolts down are now blocked by the bumper, do i drill thru bumper?? , if so how do i get past steel tube frame inside bumper to get the bolts in??

Attachments

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
You have a winch plate for a factory style bumper, you need the style for aftermarket bumpers. It rises off of the frame. I made the same mistake.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see what your talking about. What if i took bumper off drill the front 2 holes and just install bumper, plate and winch together, would that work?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
If I am understanding you correctly, just mount the winch to the mounting plate first, then lift the assembled plate and winch onto the front of the Jeep and bolt the plate into place.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Will you be able to reach the rearmost winch mount holes with anything. Or is the plan to put the winch, plate and bumper together off of the vehicle? Starts to get complicated when you have the wrong part.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
lookin good!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I am understanding you correctly, just mount the winch to the mounting plate first, then lift the assembled plate and winch onto the front of the Jeep and bolt the plate into place.
The problem is then the entire winch mount plate will be sitting on those two bolt heads leaving a gap between bumper and plate. this plate is designed to lay fat on bumper.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Remove tow hooks, place plate down and it will fit. I have the same plate. It is much easier to mount the winch onto the plate first and put it all on as one unit, but to each his own. The tow hooks sit ontop of the mounting plate. The kit should have come with a thick washer to keep it level where the sway bar mount bolt goes back in.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will you be able to reach the rearmost winch mount holes with anything. Or is the plan to put the winch, plate and bumper together off of the vehicle? Starts to get complicated when you have the wrong part.
ya i know but those other plates are kinda pricey. I will try to put everything together off the vehicle , then just install as one piece.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
The problem is then the entire winch mount plate will be sitting on those two bolt heads leaving a gap between bumper and plate. this plate is designed to lay fat on bumper.
You are saying it won't be sitting on the frame in the rear? If that's what you mean, put a heavy duty washer or two or piece of scrap steel to equal to the bumper thickness under the plate at the rear and pass the rear bolt through it to level the plate. That is done all the time and is what I did on my first TJ.

Remember the top four bumper mounting bolts that hold the bumper to the frame are removed and the winch mounting plate is held on top of the bumper by them. There is no need to drill new holes in the bumper!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remove tow hooks, place plate down and it will fit. I have the same plate. It is much easier to mount the winch onto the plate first and put it all on as one unit, but to each his own. The tow hooks sit ontop of the mounting plate. The kit should have come with a thick washer to keep it level where the sway bar mount bolt goes back in.
Did you drill the front 2 winch mounting bolts through bumper??If not how is not resting on those 2 bolts?Is your bumper stock?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yup, bone stock bumper!! I didnt drill anything, just mounted my winch on the plate then put everything on as one...just make sure you put that thick washer between the plate and frame. Everything will clear!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Bolt the winch plate to the bumper.
Use winch plate to mark and drill out forward winch bolt holes.
Remove winch plate and bumper from Jeep.
Bolt winch to winch plate and bumper.
Install bumper (with winch plate and winch attached) back on Jeep.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mean it won't be sitting on the frame in the rear? If that's what you mean, put a heavy duty washer or two or piece of scrap steel to equal to the bumper thickness under the plate at the rear and pass the rear bolt through it to level the plate. That is done all the time and is what I did on my first TJ.
Sorry jerry i guess I am not making it clear. It is not the frame bolts at all those line up and i have the spacer to equal out the gap for sway bar. It is those 2 front holes where the winch bolts to the plate if i bolt winch to plate then put plate on it will be sitting only on those 2 bolts only

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, bone stock bumper!! I didnt drill anything, just mounted my winch on the plate then put everything on as one...just make sure you put that thick washer between the plate and frame. Everything will clear!
thats where my issue is , mine is aftermarket warn bumper.:banghead:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
Are the four winch mounting bolts that secure the winch to the mounting plate facing the right direction? The rounded bolt head will be under the plate with the nuts in the recessed mounting areas on the base of the winch. Something isn't right because Warn wouldn't make a bumper or winch mounting plate that couldn't be used together

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
mrbat23 said:
ya i know but those other plates are kinda pricey. I will try to put everything together off the vehicle , then just install as one piece.
Mine was only about 10 bucks more than the flat mount. You could do the washer trick as well. Up to you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are the four winch mounting bolts that secure the winch to the mounting plate facing the right direction? The rounded bolt head will be under the plate with the nuts in the recessed mounting areas on the base of the winch. Something isn't right because Warn wouldn't make a bumper or winch mounting plate that couldn't be used together
That is correct ,but me not doing my home work decided to get a quadratec mounting plate( ya i know you hate to hear that ) and i will have to take the whole bumper off to make it work right, I guess not the biggest deal in the world its just those t55 torx bolts are a pain, and now i have 2 more to fight with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts