Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Jeepers,

Three days ago I took the JK Sport up into the mountains to test it out. I have 16" mud and snow tires on it, no lift. I made the mistake of trying to turn around without having first determined the depth of snow. In short, I got well and truly stuck. Snow was just a little under knee deep. Fortunately, I was able to get a couple of snowmobilers to notify the local DCNR and they sent a simply magnificent 10" high tracked vehicle to pull my JKa$$ out. The tracked vehicle was one of those types that have triangular tracks at each of the four corners of the vehicle. WAY COOL. Anyway, that baby towed me out with no problems.

So, in order to avoid the ignominy of getting stuck again I've decided to invest in a winch or, alternately, a come-along. Winches are costly and may not even have done me any good since the JK was nose into the snow and I would have had nothing to connect the winch cable to. A come-along would have at least allowed me the portability to hook up to the rear towing hook but I'm not sure how much winching I would have had to do to get the JK unstuck.

What's your thoughts on come-alongs for getting out of a snow drift?

Thanks for your experienced answers.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've used a come along years ago. Not perfect, but it worked if it's not too bad. But that was with a lighter vehicle. Wranglers are getting a lot heavier, not sure anymore..

I think that with more experience you'll soon learn what you can, and cannot do. When I first started driving off-road back in the 1970's I got stuck often. Always rode with others though and we could pull each other out if someone under estimated how bad a spot would be. It has been a LOONG time since I've needed assistance though. After a while I have a pretty good idea where I can go, and not go. I just don't go into places where I know I'll get stuck. Especially if I'm alone.

I have considered a winch, and probably will buy one someday. But one thing I've observed. Most guys with winches spend a LOT more time winching someone else out instead of themselves. And that isn't really a bad thing. It is easier on both vehicles rather than pulling with a strap or chain.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I went through a real similar dilemma and ended up with a M8000. A quality come along, Wyeth Scott, they are about $350. Anything less than a Wyeth is not gonna get you out reliably. Then you have to hand crank it forever to get out. For about the same money you can get a winch.

I would be interested to hear how people solve the nothing to anchor to problem. Where I live that is a common problem.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I used a come-a long once in Alaska, it sort of came apart and almost my head too. I carry one with my ATV even though I have a winch on it, so they have their place (great for hauling out an elk) but....these jeeps are pretty heavy and not sure I would risk it, a farm jack is more sensible. All my vehicles have electric winches.
There are ways to reverse pull, only done it once and rather painful digging a trench under the frame, since have learned there are ways of doing it with enough equipment(shackles, pulleys, chain, etc....) which I now carry. I think it would be worth it to spend $300 for one. And Wow...driving where snowmobiles are passing is interesting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I came across some posts that mentions Wyeth-Scott come-alongs and I think one of those may be in my future.

Splnkr, that's one mighty fine looking jeep.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I would be interested to hear how people solve the nothing to anchor to problem. Where I live that is a common problem.
Yeah, me too. We've been above treeline before and I'm looking around thinking I hope nothing goes wrong. There is this contraption:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_4204.htm

A bit pricy. I guess you could always try and bury your spare or jack or find some creative way to use them as an anchor.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I like that tag...Stumblinhorse.

finding anchor points can be interesting , I have used boulders at times and even once drove my tire iron into the frozen ground going a little too far hunting for that big one. I know there is a technique of burying the spare tire into the ground, that is a lot of work. What I have learned over the years is always thinking of how can I get out, looking at trees, boulders and the what if's even then some calculated risks.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been updating and upgrading my recovery bag... I just got the Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller with 35 feet of synth line. Stout.

I hope not to need it often

:)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Greetings fellow Jeepers,

Three days ago I took the JK Sport up into the mountains to test it out. I have 16" mud and snow tires on it, no lift. I made the mistake of trying to turn around without having first determined the depth of snow. In short, I got well and truly stuck. Snow was just a little under knee deep. Fortunately, I was able to get a couple of snowmobilers to notify the local DCNR and they sent a simply magnificent 10" high tracked vehicle to pull my JKa$$ out. The tracked vehicle was one of those types that have triangular tracks at each of the four corners of the vehicle. WAY COOL. Anyway, that baby towed me out with no problems.

So, in order to avoid the ignominy of getting stuck again I've decided to invest in a winch or, alternately, a come-along. Winches are costly and may not even have done me any good since the JK was nose into the snow and I would have had nothing to connect the winch cable to. A come-along would have at least allowed me the portability to hook up to the rear towing hook but I'm not sure how much winching I would have had to do to get the JK unstuck.

What's your thoughts on come-alongs for getting out of a snow drift?

Thanks for your experienced answers.
I carry a come along and a winch on all my wheeling trips, the winch has been used countless times while the come along has only been used a few times on other vehicles.
Having said that honestly your best bet for your situation would be a good shovel, no joke. Most of my winter wheeling I simply dig out when I get stuck, it's a bit more work than the winch but it's usually just as fast and less messing around.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, me too. We've been above treeline before and I'm looking around thinking I hope nothing goes wrong. There is this contraption:

ARB ARB230 - ARB Portable Rescue Tree Ground Anchor - Quadratec

A bit pricy. I guess you could always try and bury your spare or jack or find some creative way to use them as an anchor.
Invest in a trailer tie down. The ones used to tie down mobile homes. Using a 2x4, screw it into the ground pointing opposite of your jeep and latch on to it. They give very little and when your out, unscrew it and save it and rge 2x4 for the next time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts