Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using my stock bumper on a 2003 TJ to mount a winch. I need a good, inexpensive winch plate. I don't want to modify/cut anything I don't have to, and I would rather not use a raised plate, unless you can change my mind. Pics and part numbers please there is just too many options out there and old threads, I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Where are you at? I have one I just replaced with a bumper. Came with my Engo 10k. About a year old, and it flat mounts.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im in ny

·
Registered
643 Posts
Ah, so shipping would cancel out the savings. My plate worked fine, but I'm not even sure of the brand they sent.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,761 Posts
A flat RC plate will work with your stock bumper. Pretty stout...1/4" steel. I had one for awhile. I think it was only $65.00 at the time. Standard winch bolt pattern. I had a Smitty winch on it for awhile. When it died, the plate fit my Warn replacement just fine.

It is when/if you decide to upgrade your front bumper is where you may have problems.

I put a Smitty Classic bumper on front. Since it stuck out farther than the stock bumper, the two front winch mounting bolt heads came in contact with the Smitty bumper before it would lay flat. I just drilled two large holes in the bumper for them to drop into. Not that big of a deal with a cheapo Smitty bumper, but this is why people recommend a raised winch plate.

I'm currently running a winch ready bumper by JCR. Built in winch plate=less weight than a bumper/plate combo.

RC Winch plate, Smitty Classic bumper with two big holes up top, Warn XD9000i.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I also used the engo winch mount plate, and its tough. I would recommend it.
Definitely one of the cheaper ones out there too.

·
Registered
672 Posts
That is essentially the same thing as the engo one but more expensive.

Engo USA - Universal Channel Mount

and northridge4x4 would probably do it cheaper than that.
The item is $6 cheaper but shipping is estimated at $20.

Add $5 to Quadratec and your shipping is free.

Also, since OP is in NY, standard shipping ends up being overnight. I live in MD and everything I have bought arrived overnight.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you were closer I would let you have mine for a steal. I am getting a different bumper and no longer need either. It is a Smittybilt raised. And bumper.

image-275426889.jpg

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
where are you in N.Y? Im near Albany & I have one Im not using.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great info guys. I wonder if that universal plate allows for the little stick out bumpers i kinda want to keep. I really want to keep a stock
Look, but that bumper with the d rings on the front looks awesome. Which brand is that? I've seen a pro comp online that looks similar and i think it has a built in winch plate. So many choices. Arg

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
The ate fit a 2004 rubicon leaving stock bumper with stock rubber bumperets

Only issue was the front vertical part that roller fair head bolts too had the lip a little too high and cable rubbed so had to mill or you could grind it down about 1/4 inch

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for all the great info guys. I wonder if that universal plate allows for the little stick out bumpers i kinda want to keep. I really want to keep a stock Look, but that bumper with the d rings on the front looks awesome. Which brand is that? I've seen a pro comp online that looks similar and i think it has a built in winch plate. So many choices. Arg

It is all Smittybilt. It's their rock crawler bumper and their raised winch plate.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought the cheapest one on eBay I could find. I think it was 50$ shipped, nice quality, everything bolted up right. Replaced the provided hardware with grade 8. Good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts