Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I went wheeling on the weekend and now my winch just makes a clicking sound everytime I press the buttons on the remote. Just one single click for every press. It spooled for about 1 second then just a click when the button is pressed. I didn't go through any deep water or anything. Just tiny puddles and lots of dust. The jeep, engine bay and interior are covered in dried dirt and dust. My under hood light stopped working also. Anyone know what this could be?

Its an 07 jkur.

Damn jeep 馃槴

Administrator
what brand and model winch.. sounds like the soleniod. Check all your connection to the winch
motor and battery.

Registered
Check your grounds, mine did the same thing. Take a set of jumper cables and ground the winch and see if it works. Has enough ground for the solenoid but not enough for the high amp draw of the winch.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Its a champion 10,000 lb winch with steel cable. I can't figure out how to open it up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try the jumper cable thing this week and see what happens. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
It's an older Champion 10,000 steel cable winch.

If only I could get into it. I contacted Champion, they said to send pics of the wich so they could suggest trouble shooting. I sent pics snd havent heard back. How do you get in? I really would prefer not to have to take it off the bumper if its possible. It's a pain in the ass.

I tried uploading pictures here but it doesn't work.

Registered
Those things draw a lot of amps, check your positive and negative cables. They may look good on the ends but corrode inside the eyelet. Before tearing it apart start with the basic , good power and ground.

Super Moderator
There are often two 12 volt sides to a winch, a low amp and a high amp circuit, along with a ground back to the battery.
If you hear a click when you try to operate it, that is likely the solenoid which is run by the low amperage 12 volt feed. The solenoid is a remotely operated switch for the high amperage side of the 12 volt power. It has to flow a large amount of current to be able to run the winch, way more current than the hand held switch could ever flow. So the hand held switch controls the solenoid, and as such does not require very much current. The solenoid then sends 12 volts to the winch but at a much higher amperage capacity. The clicking is likely the solenoid. That can mean that the which motor simply doesn't work anymore, or the solenoid is switching but there is not enough current going through it to run the winch motor. That can happen due to corrosion at the power connections. A third option is you are not properly grounded, that can also happen due to corrosion.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I did the bench test and got no motor activation. I then tried the remote again and the motor spooled for half a second and that was it, just more single clicks when I pressed the buttons.

I'm waiting to hear back from Champion about how to open up the winch. I removed the bolts on the sides of tge control box and it won't open.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
So, Champion tells me the motir is gone and a new one will cost $160 plus tax and shipping. They suggested that it might be more cost effective to purchase a new one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
So Champion was kind enough to send me a brand new motor for the winch free of cost. I hope once I replace it, that was actually the problem and it works again. Either way, Champion definitely stepped up to the plate. Will update on that once I receive the motor.

Super Moderator
So Champion was kind enough to send me a brand new motor for the winch free of cost. I hope once I replace it, that was actually the problem and it works again. Either way, Champion definitely stepped up to the plate. Will update on that once I receive the motor.
How old is the winch. It is great they stepped up like that, but unless the winch is old it should not have failed. But it is likely a low cost winch, and so it is what it is.

As a related bit of information, I found that adding a disconnect so that you can turn off power to the winch when not using it goes a long way towards keeping the winch in good shape. A winch with 12 volts DC to it tends to have issues over time, especially if it gets wet. I use a remote disconnect from Warn, but I have seen others wire in a manual disconnect.

Registered
How old is the winch. It is great they stepped up like that, but unless the winch is old it should not have failed. But it is likely a low cost winch, and so it is what it is.

As a related bit of information, I found that adding a disconnect so that you can turn off power to the winch when not using it goes a long way towards keeping the winch in good shape. A winch with 12 volts DC to it tends to have issues over time, especially if it gets wet. I use a remote disconnect from Warn, but I have seen others wire in a manual disconnect.
CPE winches have a main power switch at the solenoid.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
The winch is 10 years old. I'm hoping this works and it lasts several more years. If not, then I'll have to look at replacement.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely lots of corrosion on the old motor. The input shaft of the new motor has more splines so I'll have to get the matching receiver piece first before installing. Contacted Champion about that and now I wait...

Attachments

Registered
Ten years old and a free motor sent to you, that's damn good customer service right there

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Yup, I totally agree. I'm definitely giving Champion good word of mouth for doing that. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
So I sent about 4 emails with lots of pictures telling Champion that I need the new reciever piece that matches the new style input shaft on the new motor. Didnt hear anything for a week. This morning I sent an email from my other account asking for assistance but not giving details or my name.

I got a reply in 20 min. I told them it was me and that no one replied to my other email account. They tell me that they dug through the old parts bin and looked everywhere but my old winch is discontinued and the old receiver piece is no longer being made and sorry they can't help me. They said the new motor has a different input shaft spline style and the old receiver won't fit.

This is where I bang my head against the wall.

I get the feeling I'm being dodged and they want to get rid of me.

So I just told them I don't need an old receiver piece, I have one. I need a new reciever piece to match the new motor and input shaft style and they must have tons of them around. Just tell me which part I need to buy. My winch is in pieces and I don't want to go wheeling without a winch so I'm sitting around waiting.

Still waiting for a response.

I knew it had to be tgtbt. Guess I better start looking for a new winch. Not a Champion for sure.

UPDATE: The email thing was getting frustrating so I called them. They are sending a box of several different parts free of charge. The coupling I need is hopefully among them and is the right piece. I guess we'll go from there. Great customer service, not so great communication.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts