Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 07 jku with a xrc stinger, 33x12 trail grapplers and 3" lift. I am about to buy a winch and am just wondering if a 3000 lb winch would be enough? Using it just to pull outta mud. Not sure how strong I need. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
letterskilled said:
Have a 07 jku with a xrc stinger, 33x12 trail grapplers and 3" lift. I am about to buy a winch and am just wondering if a 3000 lb winch would be enough? Using it just to pull outta mud. Not sure how strong I need. Thanks for any suggestions.
A 3,000 lb winch isn't enough. Personally, I wouldn't buy a winch rated at less than 8,000 lbs. Anything less and you risk snapping the cable and causing serious damage to your rig or your person.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Absolute minimum is 8K.. but with having a JKU I'd go with one rated higher then that

·
Registered
34,446 Posts
I would not get any thing less than a 10,000. I have been stuck where it took 2 10,000 to get me out.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have a 9.5 but I wouldn't go any lower than an 8. Since you have a 4dr., I agree with Sig.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
3rd for Sig's advice. Truth be told, the difference in price between a 8k winch and a 10.5 or 12k winch is minor compared to what it would cost to have your rig extracted from mud by a professional extraction service (wrecker), especially if you're off the path enough to actually need it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
A good rule of thumb is your wing should be rated at least 2 to 3 x the mass of the vehicle its attached to. Since the JKU is around 4,400lb, you want at least a 9000lb, personally I would be going to 12,000. I am fitting a 10,000lb on my 2 door this weekend.

We had to do a recovery last weekend during a ladies day drive. One of the JKU's (brand new...) had the side of the road crumble away whilst waiting to turn right onto a side road and up a hill. It resulted in the vehicle landing on its roof at the bottom of an 8 to 10 foot deep stormwater ditch beside the road (it was concealed by long grass and no one knew it was there).

This took 5 winches to pull it back over onto its wheels then drag it sideways up the side of the ditch and back onto the road. These were all 9000lb+ winches, and all were straining hard. 3 of the winch vehicles were strapped to the tree behind them, the other two not having trees near them were strapped to the vehicle behind them.

Not having a winch at the time I was one of the anchor vehicles behind a JKU with a warn 9,500 on it. I was facing uphill on a small hump yet still had to start mine to jam the brakes on - and I was still being dragged by the JKU in front me (which was also dragging all 4 wheels).

So this winch was dragging both a 2 door and a 4 door JK - so how much load was on the winch?? And dont forget, this was only one of 5 winches attached to the stricken JK.

Bottom line, a 3000lb winch is great for the front of a boat trailer.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
You don't 'need' 10k+ or 9k ... But, as was said, 8k is the minimum. Get a snatch block (and learn how to use it ... And the winch for that matter) and that 8k lb winch gives you 16k lbs of pull. And, make sure you have recovery points to match. I've seen guys get a 10k lb winch and then throw a snatch block on effectively giving them 20k lbs of pulling power only to hook up to their Jeep with a recovery point rated at only 10k lbs. All is good until you exceed that 10k ... Which you'd have to be really stuck or be winching a really heavy vehicle to come anywhere near that.

The primary benefit of higher rated winches relative to lower is having more pulling power on a given 'layer' of rope on the drum. Remember, winches are rated on their max pull on the bottom layer of rope/cable. As you go up in layers, the pulling power goes down. So, on an 8k winch, you'll have to spool more cable out relative to a 9500lb winch to get the same amount of pulling power.

T

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
A 3K lb winch is rated for ATV use. Like other's said 8K is the absolute minimum.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I've read that you need a winch that can handle 1.5 to 2 times the weight of your Jeep. You can multiply the pulling power with a snatch block if you get into a situation that requires more pulling power than your winch can handle.

I have a 12,500 on my JKU Rubicon. It is overkill, but the cost difference between it and something that has a rating of 9,500 was marginal, so I went with the larger winch. As has already been stated, I also don't have to spool out as much line to still have plenty of pulling power.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
I agree, why not go with a winch that is designed to do what you are trying to do. If price is a issue for the larger winches, why not go with the new ENGO's? We have them and they are cheaper than a lot of ATV winches on the market! Starting under $300! PM us for some prices and we can help you get out of the mud!

-Jason

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I have a 8K with a snatch block. If your really stuck, the force to over come that with the weight of your Jeep can as many state make it to were you need 2 to 3 times your Jeeps weight to pull it out. A 3K winch would pull you down hill on pavement, that's about it. If you get a 8K, get a snatch block so when your really stuck; you have that doubling effect of a pulley.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts