Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I wait until tomorrow for my mounting plate to arrive, I did what any other responsible winch owner would do and read the manual. I have one question. It says that the clutch should remain disengaged when not in use, but wouldn't the cable unspool while driving?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
baker3 said:
So as I wait until tomorrow for my mounting plate to arrive, I did what any other responsible winch owner would do and read the manual. I have one question. It says that the clutch should remain disengaged when not in use, but wouldn't the cable unspool while driving?
No

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not sure what they mean by that. I wind all my winches in with resistance behind them to keep the wraps neat and tight. But of course if you read it exactly... Engaging the clutch...would be too release the tension....disengaging the clutch...would mean leaving it locked up. Course i could be reading too far into that...too much beer tonight. I leave mine locked with tension on em...never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I don't know about the wording, but yes you want the tension on the cable at all times. Otherwise it can pretty much unspool and then damage the cable when you try to pull yourself out. I think the post above me is right about the way its worded.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I keep mine with tension.. always have. I hear what Mudweiser is saying, but if you take engage and disengage from the book and apply that to the winch decal, it's completely opposite.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If the "clutch" in any mechanical devise is "engaged" that means the drivetrain is engaged. " unengaged " and the drivetrain is unengaged.. I see no confusion... So you guys keep tension on your line? hmmm,, I guess I'd doesnt hurt, but I'm one of those guys that most always park in neutral. ;).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts