Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to the Jeeping world, and I'm looking to add a winch to my TJ. I've been reading about Smittybilt vs Warn vs Ramsey etc. I think I've narrowed it down to buying a Warn. My question is this- Do I spend the $$$ for the "M" series, or is the "VR" adequate?

I guess I should word it like this- If you were "willing" to spend $700 on a winch, would you a) buy the VR12000 for $679.99 b) buy the M8000 for $649.99 or c) other (this is the part where you tell me what YOU would do......

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any 12000 lb winch is pretty big for a wrangler.An 8000 to 9500 lb winch would have faster line speed and you could use a snatch block for more power.Don't forget a winch mount in your budget.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the Warn Dual Force Powerplant HD on mine. The 12,000 lbs rating is probably overkill, but I wanted the onboard air compressor. The compressor has come in extremely handy, and I use it more than I expected. It is a pricey winch but I am extremely happy with it.

I had the 9500i (I think that was the model), on my Rubicon and it also worked flawlessly. There are cheaper brands out there, and many swear by them, but for me personally, I'd say any Warn winch with > 8000 lbs rating is a safe and reliable bet.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. So, 12K is a little too big......Now the question remains- is the "VR" sufficient, or is the "M" a must-have?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks like not a big differance in price, between the 8000 and the 12000. But I also wonder which size is most common to use on a jeep. So far I gather that if I got a 12k I would never want for more power on the trail. I also wonder if the size of the unit is much different between the two... I haven't bothered to check measurements yet. I think there is a weight difference also. I am not positive but VR might mean vehicle recovery.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Most of the cheaper winches on the market are only designed for occasional use, if you love to play in the mud, or pull yourself up long hills,you would be better off with a better quality winch.Synthetic rope is a nice upgrade,too,not only is it safer,it takes some weight off the very front of the jeep.You add 100+ lbs to the frontend,you might make it sag a little.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks guys. So, 12K is a little too big......Now the question remains- is the "VR" sufficient, or is the "M" a must-have?
Either will work fine.
You already hit a home run by deciding to get a Warn!
Warn is only way to go.... if you can afford it/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts