Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hoping for some experienced answers on a quick question. I just bought a winch for my 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon. Jeep not going to show up till 5/22.

Will I need a leveling kit after installing the winch?

The jeep is a stock JKU Recon otherwise. The winch is a WARN 97035 VR12-S Series 12,000lb. Gen II Winch. It weighs 62 pounds.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I would install it and then decide if you think it needs a leveling kit. I put a winch on my stock bumper and it didn't make it sag much if anything. I think it would most likely be fine without it, the Recon has a half inch lift over the standard Rubicon correct?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would install it and then decide if you think it needs a leveling kit. I put a winch on my stock bumper and it didn't make it sag much if anything. I think it would most likely be fine without it, the Recon has a half inch lift over the standard Rubicon correct?
As far as I understand there may be a half inch increase due to the springs. I am not 100% sure. I didn't even think about this till a buddy mentioned it. I'd rather keep it stock if the winch doesn't change the ride.

62 pounds doesn't seem like that much, but it is at the very front of the jeep. Just wanted to hear what people have experienced.

There are 2 teraflex leveling kits one with springs and 1 without. Was looking at these on quadratec. Wouldnt mind it looking a little more aggressive, but dont want to screw with stock springs and geometry, which are probably pretty good to begin with.

·
Registered
946 Posts
As far as I understand there may be a half inch increase due to the springs. I am not 100% sure. I didn't even think about this till a buddy mentioned it. I'd rather keep it stock if the winch doesn't change the ride.

62 pounds doesn't seem like that much, but it is at the very front of the jeep. Just wanted to hear what people have experienced.

There are 2 teraflex leveling kits one with springs and 1 without. Was looking at these on quadratec. Wouldnt mind it looking a little more aggressive, but dont want to screw with stock springs and geometry, which are probably pretty good to begin with.
I would think that it'll be fine. I like the spring leveling kits better but you could always just add spacers up front to keep the stock suspension. Wouldn't need a spacer in the back if you are just wanting to level it.

Either way you can install the winch first and then make the decision, it's not something that has to be done at the same time.

·
Registered
421 Posts
"
Will I need a leveling kit after installing the winch?"

I measured my own JK 'sag' from pre to post height on the closest frame member to the ground.

By tape measure, maybe 1/2" with winch & Warn bumper. By visual cue: none.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I put a front bumper that weighs around 50lb and a 8,500lb Super Winch that weighs around 75lb on my 2016 JKU Sport. Not sure about the difference in springs from a Rubicon and sport but mine did sag a bit. I replaced the springs and shocks with the Teraflex spring leveling kit and some Fox 2.0 performance shocks and they made a huge improvement in the looks and ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I can spot a stock jk with a winch from quite a distance. Looks like something is wrong with it on the front. Looks like the stock tires will rub.

If you can do a recon with a 12k winch(!) I would splurge for the better front springs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can spot a stock jk with a winch from quite a distance. Looks like something is wrong with it on the front. Looks like the stock tires will rub.

If you can do a recon with a 12k winch(!) I would splurge for the better front springs.
Thats just it though, I think the "better" springs are the ones that are already on it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thats just it though, I think the "better" springs are the ones that are already on it.
I'm not sure if the lift on the Recon is due to the springs or a spacer but if you dont want to mess with the stock suspension then I wouldn't buy a leveling kit in advance. Maybe put a 60lb weight on the front and see if you notice a difference.

I had a leveling kit before i put my winch on, but after installing the winch I didn't notice any sag. I didn't measure it but couldn't tell anything just by looking.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
The New VR series have a lot of user complaints. Cheap plastic cover, Rusted housing bolts, cheap grade mounting hardware, fitment issues with hawse fairlead, and best of all ... Warn recommends to replace the synthetic line every year.

If I were to do the VR series, I would 3m the plastic cover, replace the housing/ mounting hardware, get a new hawse fairlead, and get the steel version of the winch, and purchase a spydura.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I weigh about 150 lbs more than 62 lbs, so I'm not sure if that would be accurate.
You are a smart person though, you can see what I am getting at.

Maybe find a small child. Or some weights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The New VR series have a lot of user complaints. Cheap plastic cover, Rusted housing bolts, cheap grade mounting hardware, fitment issues with hawse fairlead, and best of all ... Warn recommends to replace the synthetic line every year.

If I were to do the VR series, I would 3m the plastic cover, replace the housing/ mounting hardware, get a new hawse fairlead, and get the steel version of the winch, and purchase a spydura.
Here I thought I was getting a good product. Seriously, you have to change synthetic rope every year? I thought it would be more durable.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Here I thought I was getting a good product. Seriously, you have to change synthetic rope every year? I thought it would be more durable.
As far as I know the cheaper Warns are made in China with only the Zeon line of winches being made in the US.

As everything in life, synthetic has pros/cons here are some pros and cons of steel and synthetic.

Steel cable
Pros
• More durable
• Longer lasting
• Dissipates heat from internal brake drum
• Less expensive than synthetic

Cons
• Heavy
• Stores more kinetic energy
• Difficult to handle
• Develops barbs
• Difficult to field fix
• No load wraps can unspool to a bird’s nest
• Can rust
• Can kink

Synthetic
Pros
• Lightweight
• Stronger than steel (when new)
• Floats
• Comes in pretty colors
• Easy to handle
• Simple to field fix
• Won’t rust

Cons
• Doesn’t dissipate heat, which can affect the winch brake
• Subject to abrasion
• Strength degrades at 150 degrees
• Can get heat aged by repeated overheating of brake drum
• UV degrades it
• Sand and dirt can cut internally
• Needs a sheath for protection from debris and sunlight
• More expensive than steel
• Needs to be cleaned of mud, sand, and debris
• Can retain water and freeze
• Lots of cheap imitations on the market

Steel Cable Or Synthetic Winch Rope?- 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As far as I know the cheaper Warns are made in China with only the Zeon line of winches being made in the US.

As everything in life, synthetic has pros/cons here are some pros and cons of steel and synthetic.

Steel cable
Pros
• More durable
• Longer lasting
• Dissipates heat from internal brake drum
• Less expensive than synthetic

Cons
• Heavy
• Stores more kinetic energy
• Difficult to handle
• Develops barbs
• Difficult to field fix
• No load wraps can unspool to a bird’s nest
• Can rust
• Can kink

Synthetic
Pros
• Lightweight
• Stronger than steel (when new)
• Floats
• Comes in pretty colors
• Easy to handle
• Simple to field fix
• Won’t rust

Cons
• Doesn’t dissipate heat, which can affect the winch brake
• Subject to abrasion
• Strength degrades at 150 degrees
• Can get heat aged by repeated overheating of brake drum
• UV degrades it
• Sand and dirt can cut internally
• Needs a sheath for protection from debris and sunlight
• More expensive than steel
• Needs to be cleaned of mud, sand, and debris
• Can retain water and freeze
• Lots of cheap imitations on the market

Steel Cable Or Synthetic Winch Rope?- 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine
should i return for this?

WARN 89611 ZEON™ 10-S Winch with 100' Spydura Synthetic Rope and Hawse Fairlead

·
Registered
946 Posts
should i return for this?

WARN 89611 ZEON™ 10-S Winch with 100' Spydura Synthetic Rope and Hawse Fairlead
I am a fan of the Zeon winches, I have the 10-S Platinum. If I were in the market for a winch I would be going for any of the Zeon series.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a 2017 HR before it got stolen, and now have a Recon. There is a half inch lift, and I definitely feel the lift itself however it is done makes it more level vs. other wranglers stock as well.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts