Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, got my jeep. Have started going out four wheeling, but I am having a hard time finding someone else with a jeep who wants to go out with me. Although I know a few people with jeeps. So I have been going out but have been very cautious so I don't get stuck, because noone is there to tow me out. So I have been finding myself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had a winch."

My question is, can I put a winch on my stock bumper? I do want to get an upgraded bumber, but probably can't afford that untill next summer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, Warn has an installation kit that uses the stock bumper. However, it is not cheap and a difficult installation. There are inexpensive after market front bumpers with winch plates out there that would better suit your needs.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
Better answer:
There are other companies besides Warn that make adapters/plates for the OEM bumpers, but these aren't the best solution.
There are tons of aftermarket steel bumpers that offer a recessed (dropped down inside the bumper) mounting for a winch that offer better protection for the winch, and no reduction of airflow to the radiator/condensor as do the OEM/plate solutions- Mark W.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you plan on upgrading the bumper it would not be worth the $$ to install the winch on the stock one. I do have the stock bumper, but do not go off roading, at least not on purpose:). Mostly I use the winch to pull logs up from the back yard when cutting fire wood, although it has gotten me unstucked on occasion. One reason I kept the stock bumper was to keep the weight down. Another was price (Rough Country had a good sale around Christmas time), and the best, I like the looks of the stock (there, I said it). :D

Bob:wavey:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your information. I was thinking of just waiting untill I had the money for both the winch and the bumper before I worried about buying it. Another question. Between the weight of the aftermarket bumper and the winch would I need to upgrade the coils on the suspension. I am worrying about my front end sagging down

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
8,000 lb Chicago electric winch from harbor frieght comes with a mounting plate that will work on your stock bumper. Have to trim some plastic but it's not difficult.

I used it for awhile until I got a steel bull bar bumper from ARB.
Costs $299 and takes about 1/2 an hour to install.

For an inexpensive winch it works great, I've had it under water many times and it works in 14 degree cold just fine.

Those locking lugnuts with the special key for VW's fit the threads on your winch monting bolts. Cheap security.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quick note: I pulled a [email protected] trailer over Wolf Creek Pass last month with my JK and the winch mounted on the stock bumper without any airflow issues. I'm curious as to who has had cooling issues with a winch mounted on a stock bumper. The reason I'm asking is that the last four Jeeps I've owned have the same setup and I've never had cooling issues.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:) You have an Auto--right ???

Quick note: I pulled a [email protected] trailer over Wolf Creek Pass last month with my JK and the winch mounted on the stock bumper without any airflow issues. I'm curious as to who has had cooling issues with a winch mounted on a stock bumper. The reason I'm asking is that the last four Jeeps I've owned have the same setup and I've never had cooling issues.
:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
What's your budget?

This combo can be done for about $600 if you lose the hoop and get the steel line rather than synthetic. Add those later if you want.

It beats walking to find somebody to pull you out. :punk:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts