Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just bought a new winch, never owned one....I need some help. When pulling myself out of a bind (2015 Jeep Wrangler jku 3.6 automatic 4wd obviously 3.73 rear end) do I put my jeep transmission in N and the 4wd in N or just the automatic transmission N? E brake applied and chock wheels?

Also when winching someone else out, can you tell me the proper procedure?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Every situation is a little different. I like to give it a little gas if I'm trying to move forward. This increases the rpm's which help your electrical system. And it takes some of the load off the winch. I do this if it's a relatively smooth pull. Often though the winch is used to recover others. If this is the case I'd put it in neutral (stick shift) or park if it was an auto. And apply the parking brake. I'd suggest checking out the large selection of YouTube videos including the what not to do videos on the subject.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I all most all ways let the tires turn at idle when pulling myself out to help the winch out and be able to steer better if I have to. As far as winching others goes, I all ways am sitting in the drivers seat (it's the safest place to be) with my foot on the brake and the transmission in N. Having the park break on is not good for it at all. I don't know how many times I have winched on someone and had it drag my jeep forward if you have the brakes held it will drag the tires if the park brake is on it will make it slip.

Also you have 4 tires braking vs 2 when holding the brake pedal down.

There a few times in very soft ground were I have had to tighten up on my winch and then go to reverse and dig burry my jeep, then winch the stuck vehicle and then winch mine out while still tirled onto them. This is a risky move and you have to use good judgment when doing it. Being able to tie your rear to something like a tree or another jeep parked at an angle is more ideal.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would think winching in park would put a lot of pressure on that little parking paw inside the grand. Neutral and foot pedal brakes applied is how it done it. I have seen the pulling vehicle anchor to a tree or another truck in slippery situations.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Read, Mark A. Smith's Guide to Safe, Common Sense Off-Road Driving for a start. This will answer lots of questions.

Before using your winch, learn all the safety aspects of winching. Not just for your safety but those around you. This is a serious operation that can not only result in broken equipment, but serious injury or death.

Your equipment has to be not only in top notch condition, but capable to do the job so you have to know it's limits.

Recovery of your vehicle will most likely be different than recovery of another. Therefore the situation changes almost all the time. Yes, even for you. Examples: Pulling yourself over a rock, out of a mud hole, or trying to recover in an off camber situation.

These examples too will be different for recovery of others as well. Different vehicles with different capabilities and weights.

Your in for a lot of fun but lease learn how to use it responsibly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If I can jump in to inquire about winches- and I really don't mean to start a "which winch is best" thread. I am looking at a Warn Zeon 10-S vs 9.5cti-S. The cost is about the same but what are the main differences between the two to take into consideration?

My Jeep:
2DR Rubicon
2" MOPAR
Auto
Hardtop

No heavy bumpers- I'm staying light, but will be pulling a small offroad trailer.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
361 Posts
Read, Mark A. Smith's Guide to Safe, Common Sense Off-Road Driving for a start. This will answer lots of questions.

Before using your winch, learn all the safety aspects of winching. Not just for your safety but those around you. This is a serious operation that can not only result in broken equipment, but serious injury or death.

Your equipment has to be not only in top notch condition, but capable to do the job so you have to know it's limits.

Recovery of your vehicle will most likely be different than recovery of another. Therefore the situation changes almost all the time. Yes, even for you. Examples: Pulling yourself over a rock, out of a mud hole, or trying to recover in an off camber situation.

These examples too will be different for recovery of others as well. Different vehicles with different capabilities and weights.

Your in for a lot of fun but lease learn how to use it responsibly.
Great find! Thanks. That winch stuff can get really creative.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would think winching in park would put a lot of pressure on that little parking paw inside the grand. Neutral and foot pedal brakes applied is how it done it. I have seen the pulling vehicle anchor to a tree or another truck in slippery situations.
Never winch in park for this reason. Expensive mistake.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So on the topic of Neutral, do you put automatic transmission in N and the transfer case in N too or just 2 wd and drop transmission into N?

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
So on the topic of Neutral, do you put automatic transmission in N and the transfer case in N too or just 2 wd and drop transmission into N?
Leave the transfer case the way it was, put the tranny in N. Or D if you're pulling yourself out and want the wheels to help.

The reason is, you may have a hard time switching your transfer case back into gear if the Jeep isn't moving. So leave it in gear.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I started a thread a while ago titled Recovery Methods in hopes to capture this knowledge on one central thread. I'm learning there's a lot more to it than just winching techniques. There seems to be some interest in this area and as an off road forum I'm not surprised. There rightfully should be some interest in recovery methods if we are truly using our Jeeps for their intended purpose. I'm just surprised that there isn't a sticky for this topic.... If there is could someone point me to it? Moderators?

I like the idea and like to see what others do in certain situations. The resources pointed out so far are great btw. Ih8mud has an awesome section on this topic.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts