Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received the Q11000 winch this week. Unfortunately my Hard Rock winch plate is back ordered, so I wait and contemplate the installation. I'll be mounting to the stock JK bumper.

The winch comes with the option to mount the solenoid to the top, above the cable or on the side above the motor. There doesn't seem to be any physical space restrictions on my intended install.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of top mount v side mount?

Only issues I see are:
- preferred aesthetics
- visibility of winch cable
- solenoid wire routing
- air flow to radiator.

But I don't think any are critically different with either mounting option.

·
Registered
535 Posts
winch sits really low in the bumper so air flow is not an issue....It is a tight fit with almost any winch and I didn't have room to do a side mount so went with top mount. once you start putting it in you will see how little room there is and you will probably end up putting it wherever you can

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you mount the solenoid under the hood and have a locking hood, it's one more layer of security. If the logistics work for ya.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would second mounting it under the hood. I spent about an hour and a half and re wired my harbor freight winch with 2 gauge cable and moved it under the hood. Looks a lot cleaner, and should last longer with the solenoid protected and out of the elements.

One other advantage is that you make the "hot" wire about a foot long vs. having the hot wire running through your whole engine bay.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I would second mounting it under the hood. I spent about an hour and a half and re wired my harbor freight winch with 2 gauge cable and moved it under the hood. Looks a lot cleaner, and should last longer with the solenoid protected and out of the elements.

One other advantage is that you make the "hot" wire about a foot long vs. having the hot wire running through your whole engine bay.
This is what I will be doing as my next project(s) in the near future.

With the winch mounted low in the bumper it is just a matter of looks,
Here is the mockup of my wifes, I sure am liking the no solenoid look

vs mine

·
Registered
103 Posts
All of mine have come with a wireless controller, to use the wired controller I would have to raise hood and plug it in. Never had to tho'

·
Registered
252 Posts
I also put my Warn VR8000 control pack under the hood. Mounted it to a MORE compressor mount. I am just waiting on my custom black water proof / sun proof cloth winch cover. It's similar to Sunbrella but thicker and tougher.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You guys that mounted the solenoid under the hood on a JK - where? I had troubles finding a spot for the 1" cube light relay, let alone a 3 x 4 box with heavy wiring. Installed this setup yesterday with the solenoid mounted centered on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
You guys that mounted the solenoid under the hood on a JK - where? I had troubles finding a spot for the 1" cube light relay, let alone a 3 x 4 box with heavy wiring. Installed this setup yesterday with the solenoid mounted centered on top.
I made a bracket and mounted it directly above the battery. It makes getting to the battery a little challenging, but I shouldn't have to change it very often. I also used a battery disconnect switch to kill power to the winch unless it is in use. Read too many horror stories of winch controllers going on the fritz, and I didn't like the idea of it having constant power all the time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I actually don't have my solenoid mounted yet. Because I was in a money pinch when I got the winch free, I didn't want to buy new cabling to mount it under the hood, and I don't like the look of it outside. So, I cut an old set of jumper cables in half, and wired that into the solenoid. Open the hood and connect it to the battery and the winch poles if I ever need it. But, so far I've only needed it powered on to rewind it back up after replacing my bumper.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I made a bracket and mounted it directly above the battery. It makes getting to the battery a little challenging, but I shouldn't have to change it very often. I also used a battery disconnect switch to kill power to the winch unless it is in use. Read too many horror stories of winch controllers going on the fritz, and I didn't like the idea of it having constant power all the time.
What type of cutoff switch did you end up going with? I'm having a tough time finding a switch capable of handling the amp draw from the winch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts