Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WW got the winch and was wondering if there is such a thing a lock for the spool lever? After feeding the synthetic line through the flaring, I realized that it would not take much to steal the line (free spool and a 4mm allen wrench). I tried all the search engines and nothing came up, not even a ******* remedy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
There are a few threads on here and other forums on stealing winch line. The bottom line is if they want to steal it they will. My free spool lever is very hard to turn when I put tension on the line, that is what I do. Otherwise it takes a few minutes to pull the all the line out. So hopefully most theives won't risk it.

So hopefully your insurance will cover it if it does happen, lower your deductible...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The bottom line is if they want to steal it they will.
Yes this is true but, it doesn't have to be easy pickings for them. Should I not lock my house because they can get in if they want to? Of course not! Most thieves will walk away from a difficult target.

And while insurance will cover the loss, it doesn't pay for your time and frustration over the event.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Not saying to do nothing. Saying there is nothing to do. Same as rolling a jeep when the top is off. Anyone can jump in to any jeep and pop the t-case into neutral and roll it away! If you can invent something to lock the e-brake or lock the free spool you will sell a bunch!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts