Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advise for my current situation I have a 2015 Willy’s jku 3.5 aev lift 35s. It’s a daily driver and for the most part 90 street 10 off-road most of the stuff I do is beach driving but looking to get into doing some moderate off roading more of a overland style nothing extreme. The question is what will be more beneficial for me first let me say I do not mind the way the Jeep performs with the 35s and 3.73. Should I get a winch and stay with the current set up and save a little money for other things and camping gear. Should I get limited slip front and back and save a little over the lockers and for more peace of mind of not breaking anything I would be re gearing if I did or should I go with an auto locker in the front and selectable in the rear for the chance I do get into more challenging off roading. i know Locking the 30 isn’t the best thing to do but I don’t plan on beating on it and if I do end up going the more challenging off roading route then I will most likely upgrade it. What would you guys do given the options I’m not looking to upgrade the dana 30 at the moment thats why I would go auto locker if it blows it blows and we move on to another axle. I don’t do any snow driving (except for the once of twice a year drive to big bear for snow boarding) I live on the central coast so the auto locker shouldn’t be a big issue on the road

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Willys come with a rear LS so go for the winch. As your off-road treks become more intense upgrade the gears and lockers/LS together later.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Willys come with a rear LS so go for the winch. As your off-road treks become more intense upgrade the gears and lockers/LS together later.
that is kind of what I’m leaning toward I have the extended warranty and the factory lsd was just replaced I have 7 yrs 100k of them replacing it every time it goes out

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Winch first, ls/locker after. A winch is beneficial regardless of your diff setup, but a set of true tracs will make your jeep 3x more capable than open diffs or the stock craplok in the rear.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The need for a winch depends on where you are wheeling. Mostly don't get used, but that "one time" you need it, your glad you have it. Mine has been used only a few times in the past 4 years and mostly helping others. The 2 times it was used on my jeep, I wouldn't have been in the situation if I didn't have the winch. Wheeling solo a lot, so having one gives some peace of mind.

I believe the most beneficial mod to a jeep is having the proper gears for the tires. This gives the jeep better performance whenever it is being used on or off road. Next is lockers and you can install them while they are putting the 4:88s in. Each beach's sand is different, but around here lockers dig in too much and make the motor work harder. If you get a locker, get one that you can disengage.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It depends on what terrain you plan to try... and if you have buddies along for the ride. In my area, I have reasonable cell coverage, lots of large trees beside the trails, and don't get myself into too crazy a mess. So, a winch for me is essential for solo treks.

Lockers... again depends on the terrain. I don't find limited slip to be something to consider for off-road... its more for street performance. I have a rear locker, as it came with my 75th Anniversary. I had a Rubi before, and there were very few cases - for me - that the front locker was needed. The trails I frequent are in the mountains... are rocky... with very defined and solid bottoms. They are travelled enough that most small, loose material is knocked away. I like the rear locker because it stops the back-end from stepping out so I can keep the front wheels on course. This matters to me because sometimes the back end moving over a foot means it's off the edge of the trail.

You mention the beach... you might want to add on-board air compressor to your list. The best thing you can do for sand traction is to air down. You'll have to experiment with how well your rims grab your tires... or invest in bead-locks. A winch on a beach... not that useful unless you invest in various sand anchors and are prepared to spend a week winching yourself. Sand work is all about not spinning... as mentioned, having 4 wheels spinning is the quick way to a bad day...

·
Registered
556 Posts
If there's any chance you're wheeling by yourself, then the winch will get you out. High center on something and you're either using your high lift jack and moving rocks around or you hook up the winch and pull yourself off.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You mention the beach... you might want to add on-board air compressor to your list. The best thing you can do for sand traction is to air down. You'll have to experiment with how well your rims grab your tires... or invest in bead-locks. A winch on a beach... not that useful unless you invest in various sand anchors and are prepared to spend a week winching yourself. Sand work is all about not spinning... as mentioned, having 4 wheels spinning is the quick way to a bad day...
Or, how could buy my Warn Powerplant and have both a winch and OBA in a single unit...

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not worried about getting stuck in the sand I air down to 10psi and float on top of the sand haven’t had a problem yet digging in. I’m going to be doing more overland then anything since I’m going to be taking my family camping/fishing with the occasional road trip. That being said in mostly going to be alone so I feel maybe a winch will be more beneficial at this point. Everything that I’ve read about the true trac is it’s a good compromise from the locker. As long as your not getting one tire off the ground.Or maybe I can just put a true trac in the front leave the 3.73 gears and get a winch I really don’t mind the 3.73s as mentioned before the Jeep doesn’t struggle at all to me and I get the add benefit of a taller gear for the freeway. If I did re gear I would go 4.56

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
The very first thing I did after getting my JKU was winch and bumper. I've used my winch at least 10 times since I got my JKU in December 2018. I often do a little wheeling by myself, so the winch gives me some security. But, without the winch, I more then likely would not have put myself in those situations.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The stock LSD is fine for the beach. Use my winch mainly for pulling out deserving co-eds from deep ruts. Winch has earned its keep trailing the Ocala national forest. It also helps with yard work pulling stumps and bushes out from property.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
The very first thing I did after getting my JKU was winch and bumper. I've used my winch at least 10 times since I got my JKU in December 2018. I often do a little wheeling by myself, so the winch gives me some security. But, without the winch, I more then likely would not have put myself in those situations.
Hey Muskegon! :wavey:
I was born there. Don't exactly see that city listed too often so it caught my attention. Are you getting stuck on the dunes? That's a lot of winch usage. :D
OP- the D30 can handle lockers just fine. It's reputation for failure is not the grandiose number people are led to believe. I rock crawl with plenty of people with D30s both stock and S &G'ed (mostly this.) And I've seen just as many D44 failures as D30s. Yes; the percentage might be higher with a D30- but it's not some huge number. I would not discount lockers just because it's a D30. Do you need them? Probably not. But if you re-gear someday throw a locker in at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I think for the described intended usage a winch would be good insurance and a TrueTrac LSD would be the best upgrade inside the axles. But it makes sense to re-gear while you are in there. Not required, but it makes sense.
The stock clutch LSD is weak when new and after 30K miles or so it may not be anymore than a suggestion. Lockers are good for more hard core crawling, but a TrueTrac LSD will get 95% of Jeeps where they want to go and be seamless in the process.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Muskegon!

I was born there. Don't exactly see that city listed too often so it caught my attention. Are you getting stuck on the dunes? That's a lot of winch usage.

OP- the D30 can handle lockers just fine. It's reputation for failure is not the grandiose number people are led to believe. I rock crawl with plenty of people with D30s both stock and S &G'ed (mostly this.) And I've seen just as many D44 failures as D30s. Yes; the percentage might be higher with a D30- but it's not some huge number. I would not discount lockers just because it's a D30. Do you need them? Probably not. But if you re-gear someday throw a locker in at the same time.

I’m not to worried about the d30 I don’t plan on beating on it like stated before besides that the shafts will be the weak point don’t mind changing those out if they break and if the d30 goes well time for an upgrade if I did put a locker then I would re gear while they’re in there unless I went with just a front locker or ls since I don’t mind the 3.73 and I would get a winch since I didn’t lock the rear

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Go for the winch. A good driver with open diffs can do what an average driver locked can do. It will be a lot easier on your driveline since your axles are all stock as well. When you decide to lock up if you ever do then be prepared for the cost of gear swaps, chromoly axles and some sleeves and gussets on that Dana 30. You actually should consider that now if you don’t plan on a front axle upgrade.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey Muskegon! :wavey:
I was born there. Don't exactly see that city listed too often so it caught my attention. Are you getting stuck on the dunes? That's a lot of winch usage. :D
Never had to use the winch in the dunes. Always mud. Once it was back to back pulls, and another it was 4 pulls in about a half mile through a swampy 2 track(pictured).

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Something that just occurred to me..... If at some point, you decide to replace your Willys, it's easy enough to unbolt the bumper and winch and use it for the next JK you buy. I'm hoping at some point to buy a JK Rubicon, so would unbolt the skids, sliders, bumpers, wheels and tires and sell off the old one stock and have nothing but wrench time as cost to get the new one trail ready. I doubt anyone is going to pull a locker before selling.....although someone who does this work themselves all the time might do that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts