Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a mile Marker MX-8 winch that is giving me trouble. It will not respool but spools out! The light comes on its getting power but not sure what ails it. Has anyone here had this issue with their winch before, if so what was the problem? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks-Ben.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
The reverse solenoid (or maybe its connection) is probably bad, bad solenoids are common with any of the Chinese made winches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So to test the solenoids I look for high resistance or the inability to pass current, am i correct in that thought process? I also cleaned the remote cables with electrical didn't seem to work but definitely worth a shot!
Thanks Ben

·
Registered
572 Posts
Make sure you open up the controller and clean that out with a dry paper towel. I had just a bit of mud in mine where the switch was.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
So to test the solenoids I look for high resistance or the inability to pass current, am i correct in that thought process? I also cleaned the remote cables with electrical didn't seem to work but definitely worth a shot!
Thanks Ben
Think of a solenoid as a remote control heavy duty switch. Apply 12 volts to its two small connector lugs and it makes an internal connection between its two big connectors lugs. That's how a small remote switch with small gauge wiring can control a big high ampere consuming device like a winch.

Sometimes a sharp blow on the solenoid itself will get it working again... sharp blow meaning within reason. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try both those routes,don't really want to just through parts at it for a bad connection or stuck solenoid. Keepin my fingers crossed for a cheap solution! I'll let you know what I come up with in the morning.
Thanks-Ben

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So one of the solenoids was toast burnt up, seals around the solenoid cover went, must have gotten some water in there at some point! I've been looking around for parts but all I seem to find is the whole control box, anyone have any idea were you can get parts for a mile marker mx-8 online. Probably call mile marker tomorrow see if they can't point me in the right direction!
-Ben

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
It wasn't water that caused the problem, fresh water won't do that to a low voltage device like that. Which is why, for example, the totally exposed starter solenoid is fine when wet. The solenoid likely just failed on its own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts