Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, fairly new to WF, but a buddy was asking me about this the other day, and thought I would share with everyone just in case. (If there is a better place to post please let me know).
Winch wire rope lubrication - Let me start off by saying I work for a very large crane company and deal with wire ropes daily, so this is something I can actually speak on with some authority (finally!)
When it comes to the wire rope it is very necessary to lube the rope at least annually. Depending on usage probably more so. Never use plain grease, and WD-40 is only good to get water off NOT for proper lubrication. You have two main choices for lube -
1) Dry Moly Lube - preferred, and long lasting. Its a dry film, so will coat well, but not get everywhere, and more importantly will not collect as much dirt and debris as a heavier thinker lube, but is for light duty.
2) Chain & Wire Rope Lube - Also a good choice, but will be a little thinker and heavier substance. I would recommend this for heavy use winches, but they will also need to be ragged and cleaned more often as it will collect more dirt debris, etc.

Both can be bought at any Grainger, Fastenall, etc and are made by several companies. All good choices.
Simply spool out the wire rope, and spray on as you spool it in.
Anyway, just wanted to share that as I figure this should be a regular maintenance item for anybody with a winch. Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

Jeep On!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Good to know, thanks for the pro recommendations. I use my winches quite alot and have only ever used old motor oil on a rag is I spool it in every now and then. Never really thought there was a proper lube/ protectant. Good to know. Fyi old oil doesnt pick up alot of dirt or sand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Boeshield T-9 is probably the most perfect substance for a winch line - clean, dries clean, lubes, protects from corrosion.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Any one use motorcycle chain lube? That should stay on pretty good and be somewhat waterproof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts