Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pictures of how they routed their wires for their front mounted winches? The supplied wiring isn't very long it seems, so wiring options appear to be limited.

I have mine routed under the grill and beside the left headlight housing. Then along the fender behind the coolant overflow, under the intake inlet and behind the fuse box, then across the battery. There's nothing really holding it in place and I was a little concerned about "wedging" it behind that coolant overflow. Any thoughts? Am I going to screw something up by keeping the wire there?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I just reinstalled mine, and the original installer did it exactly like you did, and I out it back the same way. There is a place two to zip tie them in, and I plan to get that done tonight.

Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
I ran mine under the grill then the air filter box and then drilled 2 holes right beside the TIPM in the plastic shield and then ran them up through there. The air filter box pops right out. I put a cutoff solenoid by the battery right above the connector on the inside of the battery. I probably had ~4 ft of wire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran mine under the grill then the air filter box and then drilled 2 holes right beside the TIPM in the plastic shield and then ran them up through there. The air filter box pops right out. I put a cutoff solenoid by the battery right above the connector on the inside of the battery. I probably had ~4 ft of wire.
I may pull the airbox this weekend and give this a try. I just don't like the way I ran it. I was looking for a better more secure and clean option.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I may pull the airbox this weekend and give this a try. I just don't like the way I ran it. I was looking for a better more secure and clean option.
I also drilled a hole in the bracket that holds the air filter box and zipped tied it there. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the routing. But the wire is pretty much hidden until it gets up around the battery.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I ran mine through a grille slot. I was worried about this until I realized if I needed to remove the grille I could simply pull the solenoid cover off of the winch and disconnect the leads from the studs there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is where I mounted my Solenoid cutoff. Hard to see but its right beside the battery. The wire to the winch is connected to the aft post on the solenoid and the power is connected to the front post.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is where I mounted my Solenoid cutoff. Hard to see but its right beside the battery. The wire to the winch is connected to the aft post on the solenoid and the power is connected to the front post.
Nice set up. Did you make those new connections? My supplied power cables are super short. I would have to make new connections to be able to do all that re-routing. That's a nice clean set up though. I was considering an inline fuse set up similar to car audio connections. Not sure I will need another complete solenoid.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice set up. Did you make those new connections? My supplied power cables are super short. I would have to make new connections to be able to do all that re-routing. That's a nice clean set up though. I was considering an inline fuse set up similar to car audio connections. Not sure I will need another complete solenoid.
Yes I did make the cables. Its not hard to do. I used a small butane torch I picked up at Home Depot to solder the ends on. The cable is #2 and I used #4 terminals so that the would fit snug. I drilled a small hole in the terminal to feed the solder in. I also picked up the sealing type heat shrink at Home Depot too. I might remake the ones coming off the battery so that both cables go into one terminal also, I'm not really happy with the way it looks. I did all this while living in a hotel for a month for my job. The housekeepers probably thought I was building a bomb in my room with all the wiring and packages I had there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I did make the cables. Its not hard to do. I used a small butane torch I picked up at Home Depot to solder the ends on. The cable is #2 and I used #4 terminals so that the would fit snug. I drilled a small hole in the terminal to feed the solder in. I also picked up the sealing type heat shrink at Home Depot too. I might remake the ones coming off the battery so that both cables go into one terminal also, I'm not really happy with the way it looks. I did all this while living in a hotel for a month for my job. The housekeepers probably thought I was building a bomb in my room with all the wiring and packages I had there.
That's not a bad idea. I will probably lengthen the wire similarly since I am not happy with it in its current form under the hood. I think it looks sloppy and unfinished. It has been driving my OCD crazy since I installed it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts