Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, getting my first jeep this winter and am completely new to the whole off-road thing. When getting a winch will I need to get a new bumper too or does the winch hook up to the standard jeep bumper?
Thanks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
You'll need either a mounting plate designed for the stock bumper, or go with an aftermarket winch ready bumper. All depends on what you want to do and what your budget is.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Was just searching this. I would love to see peoples set ups and opinions on the stock bumper winch.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just installed my new front bumper and winch last Friday... Love it.

Barricade Trail Force HD Front Bumper and Barricade 9500lb Winch w/ Synthetic Rope.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Was just searching this. I would love to see peoples set ups and opinions on the stock bumper winch.
There are no issues with getting a winch plate and using the stock bumper. It is just a matter of what you plan on doing with the Jeep and what bumper style you prefer. But the correct winch plate that mounts to the frame over the factory bumper will work with no issues.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There are no issues with getting a winch plate and using the stock bumper. It is just a matter of what you plan on doing with the Jeep and what bumper style you prefer. But the correct winch plate that mounts to the frame over the factory bumper will work with no issues.
I wasnt doubting it, just wanted to see other peoples set ups and how they went about it.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I went with an LoD bumper with a built in winch plate then installed an Engo 10k winch with Synthetic rope to eliminate some weight on the front end.

Jeep1.jpg

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I run the Rock Hard Winch Plate, It works great while I save up for a new front bumper (and decide which one I want!) It's a breeze to install and runs 170. The people at Rock Hard are easy to work with as well. Here is what it looks like on top of the stock bumper.

what exact winch are you using? im at work and photos dont come up for some reason :atomic:

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
The regular bumper works great with winches, but most of them are on top (which isn't bad, unless you want the recessed look). The recessed winch project mentioned above is fantastic work.

If you wind up with a Jeep that has the OEM 10a/HardRock bumper, you have some more options. That bumper is made for a recessed winch, and is pretty easy to setup. The folks over at https://maximus-3.com have some options that work with it. I wound up using their center-mount winch plate to get a WARN Zeon winch in there, and I've been really happy with how it turned out. (I'll add the hoop part of it next year).

IMG_1386

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
hard to beat the price of a stock bumper. Not going to find one much lighter either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put a $40 Harbor Freight winch plate on mine. Had to trim the bumper to fit but was well worth it. I didn't want to get a new bumper because the winch itself dropped the front end and wanted the weight to be as light itself.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I bought the Rockhard 4x4 aluminum w/ recessed winch, they make in steel too but I like the never rust factor. I think it looks great and it was really easy to install (took longer to remove factory bumper). Winch is covered but it's a Warn M8000. Most people on here go with 9500 or 10000 winches, as I probably should have.

IMG_0186-2.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
I want to put on a new bumper and a winch as well, probably in the spring. My question is, are there any issues with it all setting of the air bags? I know that usually the sensors are in or near the bumper mounts.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I have the PSC stubby. I like it a lot.

Here I am pulling a 20,000lb forklift out of the mud. 2 snatch blocks, if my math is correct and my superwinch 9500 is actually pulling 9500lbs, that's at least 20,000lbs of pulling force on my bumper. I was anchored to a lightpole.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
@Tweak ... how long is the duty cycle of the superwinch? I'm in the market for a winch and would like one that would last more than a minute before it overheats and have to wait another 15-30 min to reuse.

BTW, is that the tiger shark and would you recommend it again and again?

My other option is the Quadratec 9500 but i'm leaning towards the superwinch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts