Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have them, how often do you actually use them?

How often do you use a snatch block (s)
What other recovery gear do you carry to work with it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had my brand new never used 10,000lb winch given to me and have only used it to move around my snowmobiles. I never wheel out of cell range so I don't take much gear. Just a tree strap and a couple shackles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have used mine to recover myself once, and to recover others a couple of dozen times. I have a snatch block, haven't needed it yet

other gear:
spare shackles
tree protector
gloves
winch cable weight vest
snatch strap 30ft x 3" rated at 30k pounds
receiver hitch mounted shackle point (use this the most as folks for some reason don't have recovery points)
shovel
hi-lift

·
Registered
513 Posts
I bought a new Warn M8000S when I bought the Jeep, along with a snatch block. Never used it yet, but I bought it more for insurance. Wheeling opportunities around my area are kinda few and far between, but I envisioned using it more in the winter time. The last couple of winters though have been very mild however with almost no snowfall to speak of. On my '98 way back then I had gotten stuck one time that I needed to get pulled out. I had waited for a couple of hours before someone came along and I had a winch the week after that. Since then, Ive never needed a winch for myself, but I'll never be without one anymore.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
i used mine once to pull myself out some mud. but over winter, it has served to pull out a couple cars. one was even a 4wd jeep compass from a flat parking lot, there was so much snow that it was bottoming out! LOL

ideally, a snatch strap would have been better, but i didnt have one at the time.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I use my winch roughly three times per year, mostly to pull large downed trees from across roads on my property. The coolest thing I have done with a winch was to help a neighbor pull down an old out building. Even though I have never used my winch to free myself or anyone else, it is tool I cannot live without.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have used mine once, to tighten the cable on the drum as advised by Warn.
There have been lots of trails where I was glad to have it, even tho I've yet to need it.
Even with having a winch I still carry a come-along, tow strap, 2 snatch straps, tree saver, shackles, snatch block, high lift... bla bla bla...
So, the winch has not "replaced" anything, it is simply another tool/option.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am about to install a new bumper and a 11500lb winch.
I already carring 2 20 foot straps, a rear hitch receiver hook (that is going to be replaced soon) I have 2 screw in d rings and 2 pin with Carter pins, I have a 10 ton pully.
Gloves, I have two beach towels that are always under my front seats to use as a strap / cable damper.

I am thinking about a 1" nylon strap for moving trees and stuff that I wouldn't want to use my good recovery straps on. Maybe a second snatch block.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wheel alone. So I want to have everything I need just in case. I have what I think is a complete recovery kit that stays in the back. I have used mine twice, once in mud the other in sand. If you don't wheel alone and the other person has a winch, you're good to go.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how is everyone dealing with the power requirement of a winch? i planned on wiring it to my spod or a standalone switch
If you are going to do that I would suggest trying this

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92126_0005.htm

instead of using the supplied switch use one from your spod.

the winch its self will draw way to much power for a switch alone or even a normal relay, they can draw 500 amps or more

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I have a Warn 9500CTI-S on a Hard Rock Rubicon JKU with 37" Pitbull Rockers and I use my winch almost every time I ride trails. We tend to ride black diamond and double black diamond trails so the Winch is your friend on occasion. How much you use your winch depends on where you wheel and the level of difficulty of the obstacles you wheel on. If you can back out and take a bypass then a Winch is needed less. Most of the trails we ride don't have a bypass and you winch over/through to continue the ride. I've been on rides where 100% of the vehicles (all well built and trail ready) winched multiple times in a day.

As for snatch blocks, I use them often for mis-direction pulls and I carry 3 with me so I can winch myself backwards if needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts