Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a Winch at Sam's Club for like $399. it's a 'Champion 10k lb winch'

is this worth it?

keep in mind, im not doing anything crazy.....i go play in the mud and hit the trails.....i wont be pulling out any semi trucks or anything......hell i may not even use it......i just want it for emergencies...

thx for all input!!!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on guys....ive got faith in you...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im probably going to end up getting the one from Sam's.

also, is there anything i need to install the winch? i mean, damn, ive got an I beam for a bumper........a few solid bolts should hold it in place real nice

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
"Champion" does not, IMO, make a good product. they make winches, generators, etc and they are a pitiful excuse for power equipment. you also need to consider that if there is a problem with this winch, where are you going to take it to? if you take it back to Sam's they are going to tell you that they don't fix them or keep parts for them you'll need to get it fixed at a servicing center. good luck finding one. i've see their stuff before in my shop and usually when it breaks it is not worth fixing b/c parts cost almost as much as the machine did. i would go with the smittybilt, they have preven to be reliable and there are a plethora (<under used word :D) of dealers and service centers. plus the smitty built has a 2 year mfg. warranty and a 1 year electrical warranty. just my .02.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Champion" does not, IMO, make a good product. they make winches, generators, etc and they are a pitiful excuse for power equipment. you also need to consider that if there is a problem with this winch, where are you going to take it to? if you take it back to Sam's they are going to tell you that they don't fix them or keep parts for them you'll need to get it fixed at a servicing center. good luck finding one. i've see their stuff before in my shop and usually when it breaks it is not worth fixing b/c parts cost almost as much as the machine did. i would go with the smittybilt, they have preven to be reliable and there are a plethora (<under used word :D) of dealers and service centers. plus the smitty built has a 2 year mfg. warranty and a 1 year electrical warranty. just my .02.
I totally agree with this, I've got a SmittyBuilt also, it's well made, you aren't spending the money for a name, and dealers are everywhere. I was able to get into a 8k winch for $299.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Warn or nothing. You are better off buying a used Warn over a cheapy. You can pick up used one for around 500.00 like a xd 9000 or similar.
It is like comparing a coleman generator to a honda, completely different.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i'm thinking getting a winch myself and have been weighing the idea of getting an other than Warn winch. I can respect paying a few dollars more for known reliability verses saving few bucks and get what you pay for when you need it the most.

that is not to say getting a Champion or other discount application will let you down, the real question is do you want find it out miles from civilization. just make sure you have your friend with a Warn on speed dial, if you are fortunate enough to have cell service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
warn aint any better than the rest. they just have to pay for all that advertising. i have a viper winch on my atv and it has been just as reliable as any warn i have seen!!! your paying for the name.

·
Registered
486 Posts
warn aint any better than the rest. they just have to pay for all that advertising. i have a viper winch on my atv and it has been just as reliable as any warn i have seen!!! your paying for the name.
If you owned a Warn you would probably never say that.
But who knows Viper could be good to I do not know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts