Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about a winch for my jeep, i have and ARB bumper that will fit one in perfectly. anyone got any advice? should i get rope or cable. give me any advice you got.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've never winched myself out, but I have winched 2 others out. I went wire rope, and when that finally wears out (if ever) I'll move to synthetic. I'm to damn cheap to remove new wire rope to put on synthetic.

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
Warn is the best winch on the market hands down, plus their stuff is made in the USA. I have a superwinch which I am happy with, but the more and more that I see the warn's the more I regret not getting one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Warn also has a good warranty.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
Warn M8000 - $540 with wire rope. That's what I'm going with this spring.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am also looking at winches for a purchase with in the next couple of weeks.
After taking into consideration how often I may actually need the winch, I am going to go with the lesser priced Smittybilt or Superwinch 8K with wire. I would only need it for assisting me if I get stuck along the trail into our place to feed the Longhorn in the winter sloppy clay mud after a rain or rare snow fall. I will also have to purchase a tow anchor due to the lack trees to winch on to.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you're still shopping around, look at Mile Marker. I've had nothing but good luck with their hydraulic winches. They pull all day and don't heat up.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Does anyone know the weight difference between cable vs. synthetic rope?

I've been trying to decide which way to go, and I'm wondering if the synthetic would be a waste for me, since I doubt I'll use it much.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
Does anyone know the weight difference between cable vs. synthetic rope?
After a little searching, I found this:

5/16" x 100' of Steel Cable weights 18 lbs vs. 2.7 lbs for Synthetic, saving 15.3 lbs.
5/16" x 125' of Steel Cable weights 22.5 lbs vs. 3.375 lbs for Synthetic, saving 19.1 lbs.
5/16" x 150' of Steel Cable weights 27 lbs vs. 4 lbs for Synthetic, saving 23 lbs.
3/8" x 100' of Steel Cable weights 26 lbs vs. 3.6 lbs for Synthetic, saving 22.4 lbs.

Also by switching from a stock roller fairlead that weighs about 13 lbs vs. the Aluminum Fairlead that weighs in under a pound you will reduce the weight by about 12 lbs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Synthetic takes maintance. Depending on where you live and how you wheel. If you talk to the companys that make the rope they say 95% of the people that own synthetic don't unspool and clean the rope. The wet and grit will tear the rope up just from vibrating on daily driving

·
Registered
21 Posts
StreetSideAuto.com has a special going on - not sure when it ends. Use coupon code, "SAVE10", to take 10% off your entire order. I bought a Warn M8000 with the advertised price of $539.95. With 10% off the price came to $485.96 plus no sales tax and free shipping. Then go to the Warn website and get the $25.00 rebate and your final cost is $460.96! :punk:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i got the ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar Bumper in Black for 97-06 Jeep, its on quadratec. type in ARB bumper and its the second one down.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I think I'll try rope and switch to an aluminum hawse. My current cable hasn't been used even once yet though so I'm going to wait till it gets gnarly before switching.

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
just on a side note, if you go with steel cable, spool it all the way out and paint the last 5' or so. this way you know when you are approaching the end of the spool.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts