Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tj weighs about 3800 pounds or so and I was wondering about a winch I should get. 250$-350$?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,387 Posts
A winch suitable for a Jeep should have a capacity of somewhere between 8,000 and 9,500 lbs.

I know of no winch even close to the $250-350 price range that I would waste my hard-earned $$$ on.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I know of no winch even close to the $250-350 price range that I would waste my hard-earned $$$ on.
I made the mistake of not following this advice years ago. I just had to have a winch sitting on my bumper. I bought the "new and improved" Smitty XRC8 for $299. It did a good job looking like I had a winch. But after joining a Jeep club and using the winch often, I soon learned that you get what you pay for. It was very hard to free spool, very slow, and died in 2 years.
What a waste of $300. I found a used Warn XD9000i that is older than my Jeep. Night and day performance over the new Chinabilt winch. It's still going strong years later.
Save your money. Buy once. Used Warns do pop up on Craigslist. You just have to be ready to snag one quickly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You do get what you pay for, however, and he's correct Warns are the best. We've run 4 warn electrics on our brush rigs and they are fine. The 2 hydraulic warns we had, collapsed within 6 months of each other. Best part was, warranty covered it and they are generally bullet proof. I was just giving an idea of a simple, open wound unit in that range. Light duty at best.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I paid in that range for my engo 10k lb. It is no warn, but I and others will stand by it's quality. I use mine all the time with no issues.
My only complaint is that in free spool, it REALLY free spools, requiring it to be rewrapped. But that is minor in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts