Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been researching winches for a while now and ive read a few threads about some. everyone seems to say Warn is a pretty good brand but i really dont want to spend that much on a winch that i wont use that often.
i have 4WD catalog and saw a smittybilt XRC sries 3000lbs winch, for $150 and i was wondering if that was any good.

i wont be using it to often or at least not that heavily (only mud no rocks) it would be for if i went out alone and got stuck.

also dont want to sound noobish but how do you install a winch?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You need wayyyyy more for a jeep. Most would suggest at least 8,000 pounds. I have an Engo and love it, although if you have the $, Warn would be best

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well think if you mod your jeep a lot bigger tires heavier bumpers steel rock guards ur jeep will prob weigh close to or more then 3000lb so y spend the money on that if ud just have to get another IMO

·
Registered
613 Posts
ive been researching winches for a while now and ive read a few threads about some. everyone seems to say Warn is a pretty good brand but i really dont want to spend that much on a winch that i wont use that often.
i have 4WD catalog and saw a smittybilt XRC sries 3000lbs winch, for $150 and i was wondering if that was any good.

i wont be using it to often or at least not that heavily (only mud no rocks) it would be for if i went out alone and got stuck.

also dont want to sound noobish but how do you install a winch?

thanks!
3000 pounds isnt nearly enough. You need a 8,000 pound min. To install a winch, you need a winch plate or a winch with a built in plate.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Smittybilt XRC8 had a good review in JP Magazine a while back... They tried to kill it and couldn't with consecutive pulls. That review convinced me, since I don't use the winch a lot.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have an xrc8 myself I was very impressed with it myself with cost and such it's a powerful winch it's gotten me out of everything. But if you need it to freespool in the cold might as well forget about it, unless you wanna tear it apart and put better quality grease in it I wouldn't advise buying one. If I was to do it all over again I'd go warn. That's just my opinion but thats cuz when you need to know its gonna work in the heat of the moment you got nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Spend the little extra and get the Warn M8000, especially considering the killer deals out there from a few vendors (around $500) and the current $50 rebate they are running with Warn.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just read the Winch advisor in 4WD magazine. i see what yall meant: 3000lbs wont be enough.
this is for way in the future. my current plans are to get a Zone 4.25 combo lift, Cragar soft 8 rims, still deciding on 33's (duratrac or MTZ, etc) and a Maxi stinger.

im looking at the Smittybilt XRC8. however, i also see the Smittybilt H20 winch. (i live in Louisiana and all we have is mud and deep water) and i was wondering if its worth the extra $100 for it?
thanks for all the help guys!

EDIT: just saw mraybrakes comment. anyone know anything about Rugged Ridge winches. ive never heard of them before.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Check out Engo E9000. 9000lb winch shipped to my door for $289. Lifetime warrenty on parts and 1 year on electrical. Seems to work great for me. They did a test with Engo, mile marker, warn, and a few others and Engo was the only winch that survived the tests.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check out Engo E9000. 9000lb winch shipped to my door for $289. Lifetime warrenty on parts and 1 year on electrical. Seems to work great for me. They did a test with Engo, mile marker, warn, and a few others and Engo was the only winch that survived the tests.
read a few articles on the Warn Vs. Engo winch. im not getting a Warn because its overpriced. (at least in my opinion). any other contendors? cheap and work hard?

one again thanks guys

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
just read the Winch advisor in 4WD magazine. i see what yall meant: 3000lbs wont be enough.
this is for way in the future. my current plans are to get a Zone 4.25 combo lift, Cragar soft 8 rims, still deciding on 33's (duratrac or MTZ, etc) and a Maxi stinger.

im looking at the Smittybilt XRC8. however, i also see the Smittybilt H20 winch. (i live in Louisiana and all we have is mud and deep water) and i was wondering if its worth the extra $100 for it?
thanks for all the help guys!

EDIT: just saw mraybrakes comment. anyone know anything about Rugged Ridge winches. ive never heard of them before.
yeahhhh lol the jeep alone weighs around 3000 lbs. if your stuck your gonna have combined weight of jeep and resistance of more then 3000

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
superwinch 9000# can be had locally for around 360 up my way. dont have one yet but when the funds allow thats my choice

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
I kinda like the Warn M8000. I prefer something a bit stronger as im a fan of having a little bit of overkill but for 540 bucks on amazon right now it's not a bad deal

1 - 20 of 33 Posts