Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have some good experience or advice on winches? Obviously in the market on ANYTHING you will find cheap stuff and expensive stuff, but I'm still surprised by just how large a difference there is in the cost of a winch between the different brands.

For instance, state about the same capacity (10k lbs, 9.5k lbs)

Smittybuilt XRC10 - ~$400

Warn 9.5XP - ~$1,300

I'm all for buying quality product that won't fail when you need it, but is the extra $900 really getting you anything different?

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you buy a used warn will the company warranty still be in effect?

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
If you buy a used warn will the company warranty still be in effect?
Probably not, but the parts will be readily available. Plus, Warns very seldom need anything other than the occasional solenoid replacement. They're very durable and ARE worth the money if you plan to use the winch on a regular basis. If you can buy used, go for it. If you can't afford a new Warn, but you want a new winch, my advice is simple. Save. Then buy the Warn when you've saved enough. Simple home economics.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
Whatever you do don't buy Warn. Smittybilt is the best winch out there.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
Sorry, but since I won my XRC8 in a drawing I must defend it to it's death. Which I predict will be sometime in April.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
I had a Warn 12K on my Power Wagon. It failed on the second pull which wasn't even a pull - it was a rewind. Got it fixed on warranty - something with the motor. But just goes to show ya - anything can fail.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Sorry, but since I won my XRC8 in a drawing I must defend it to it's death. Which I predict will be sometime in April.
Hey, you can't beat FREE! :D

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
So your saying you won't be able to try it out till then :D
Ha! Yep - that should be the first pull. Actually I plan to beat the living crap out of it to see if all the bad rep they get is true. JP tortured the XRC8 in their cheap winch shootout and they said it just kept on chugging along. We shall see! :D

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
was the motor made in Brazil on the 12k Warn? Was asking because I got a brand new (12K)one and it is clearly stamped in it. MADE IN BRAZIL

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
was the motor made in Brazil on the 12k Warn? Was asking because I got a brand new (12K)one and it is clearly stamped in it. MADE IN BRAZIL
Not sure. It came with the 2005 PW. Never looked at it that close since it was pretty well tucked up under the bumper.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it!

Ok I think I get the gist...I figured there had to be a reason you could buy 3 Smittys for the same as 1 WARN. It sounds like the best course would be to win a brand new non-Brazilian WARN for free. :D If that doesn't pan out, I could save my pennies and get a factory refurb. Are those factory refurbs available somewhere special or just right from WARN's website somewhere? Thanks all!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts