Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So where do you winch from when your stuck in the sand and theres no trees of big rocks around?

My dad said you can use a big boat anchor but i dont think that would work.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Sunken ship?

Honestly, my best guess would be to bring some decent sized/weight object or wood or something and DIG. Couple feet at the least, then bury the object. Might be enough to get ya out. If its hard sand though, Im not sure. I guess youd have to buy that thing from Jurrassic Park. The 12 guage pipe that shoots big stuff into the ground. Make it shoot a large pole into the ground :p

Honestly, im not sure about hard sand, and even my soft sand suggestion is just a guess. Here in MD, if your on the 5 miles of offroad area thats available (SUPER SOFT SAND BEACH) and get stuck, either another truck is right there, or you pay $500 bucks for a tow truck.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
a friend who is a metal worker built me such an anchor like this for only about 50$:

Looks like that could work. Jeez, has someone thought of the solution for EVERYTHING Jeep related? :D

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
We used to use metal fence posts driven into the ground at an angle or buried side ways.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
i used this thing on a trip through the african desert in tunesia and it worked fine.
before i had this anchor i buried the spare tire 1-2 feet and connected a rope to it when i was stuck in the desert.

some friends with light suzukis use this thing, but my TJ is too heavy for that. you can srew it into the sand:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im gunna invent someting and patend it and make a bunch of money haha.....I cant beleive no1 made anthing good besides that ARB thing yet....i know I would buy one if it was guaranteed to work.....

the reason im asking is i got stuck in some real soft sand and after 2 hours of tryin to get our by diggin and using boards the water came up n sunk me even more I had to end up payin some dude $200 to winch me out so now im gettin my own winch haha

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Basically, you connect a couple of rigs together and do a tandem pull.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that would work also but my problem was I was alone

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Bet that will be the last time you drive alone. Did you air down your tires before you hit the sand?

Saw a guy at Island Beach State Park in New Jersey play U-Boat captain at high tide one day. Dumb ass decided to ride along the water line and got stuck. Tide was coming in and he was up to his door handles in less than 2 hours. Took 3 of us connected in tandem to yank him out.

To get on the beach you were required to have a sand spike (4 feet long), sledge hammer, board 2' x 2', sand jack, snatch cord and a portable compressor + permit ($140).

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered me a pull pal but also this might be useful to anyone with out a winch

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bOcQHqLx90g

pics of my new bumper n winch will come tomarrrow if i can get my camera to not be an asshole

1 - 12 of 12 Posts