Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm heading up north this weekend and i want to remove a large rock from the edge of my lake and remove it. I plan to use my JK with my Warn 9500lb winch. i figure i'll have to use at least 1 pulley for a 2:1 and maybe 2. I am using a 4 inch strap to wrap around it several times. the rock will need to come up about 1.5-2 feet then it can be pulled up the hill and out of the way. My biggest concern is the initial pull up the lip of the beach. I worry about the jeep being pulled down the hill instead of the rock up. is it safe to tie the jeep to a large tree and then winch from the front? Anyone have any experience doing something like this?
The rock in question is about 3-4 foot diameter and partial in the water. I don't know what type of rock it is. I also plan to use blankets as anti kickbacks in case something goes bad.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I figure depending on the size of the rock and how deep is the thing anchored down in the ground, that you'll also want to strap the Jeep by the rear bumper to a tree, and use at least a snatch block, don't forget about the safety items, and use common sense.

Have fun.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
1 cubic yard of crushed rock = about 5000 pounds. Video this. Using snach blocks or pullies does not increase the strength of the winch cable going to the rock. A drill and some TNT would be faster and easier.

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
We typically anchor our TJ's all the time when winching JKU's on a trail, just use common sense.

Wait, I drive a JKU...........

Guess I better post pics of JKUs winching out TJs :p

:winner:

OP: I'd strap to a tree or something just in case :thumb:

·
Registered
796 Posts
It may all go smoothly and be great experience.
On the other hand, it may go "sideways" fast, just don't be afraid to regroup and try again later if it gets sketchy.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
How many friends do you have with winches in or on their jeeps? 2 winches are better than one.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Using snach blocks or pullies does not increase the strength of the winch cable going to the rock.
Doesn't make it stronger, but it does reduce the load on it. You attach the snatch block to the rock with chain/strap, then thread the winch cable through the block. The cable sees roughly 1/x load, where x is the number of pulleys in the block attached to the load.

You can lift a car with string and LEGO pulleys if you chain enough of them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I figure depending on the size of the rock and how deep is the thing anchored down in the ground, that you'll also want to strap the Jeep by the rear bumper to a tree, and use at least a snatch block, don't forget about the safety items, and use common sense.

Have fun.
Tether the rear end via a legit recovery point, not just the stock bumper or you may well be looking for a new bumper. The trailer hitch is frame mounted, for example. Or some other point intended to be tugged on.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
So i'm heading up north this weekend and i want to remove a large rock from the edge of my lake and remove it. I plan to use my JK with my Warn 9500lb winch. i figure i'll have to use at least 1 pulley for a 2:1 and maybe 2. I am using a 4 inch strap to wrap around it several times. the rock will need to come up about 1.5-2 feet then it can be pulled up the hill and out of the way. My biggest concern is the initial pull up the lip of the beach. I worry about the jeep being pulled down the hill instead of the rock up. is it safe to tie the jeep to a large tree and then winch from the front? Anyone have any experience doing something like this?
The rock in question is about 3-4 foot diameter and partial in the water. I don't know what type of rock it is. I also plan to use blankets as anti kickbacks in case something goes bad.
1) Yes, strap rear bumper and/or trailer hitch to the closest large tree you can find.
2) Gravity will be working against you trying to pull it up the first 2 feet. Ponder some kind of fulcrum (a couple of 2x4's ramped up against the back edge of the rock?) to get it rolling horizontally as soon as possible.
3) Snatch block as close to the rock as possible
4) Good idea to put those blankets on your line. Consider doubling your line back after the snatch block if you've got room.
5) Bit of a difference depending on size of the rock. 3ft dia spheroid will be ~1100lbs, 4ft dia spheroid will be ~1550lbs, depending on density of the rock +/- 40%. Best case scenario you're winching up 660lbs of lightweight stone. Worst case scenario you've got something like granite where you're talking more like 2200lbs.

Best of luck to you, take video!
O_E

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Doesn't make it stronger, but it does reduce the load on it. You attach the snatch block to the rock with chain/strap, then thread the winch cable through the block. The cable sees roughly 1/x load, where x is the number of pulleys in the block attached to the load.

You can lift a car with string and LEGO pulleys if you chain enough of them.
It makes it easier for the winch, but the full load of the rock is still on the one cable that is attached to the rock. It multiplies the power of the winch by requiring it to wind up more cable for less distance of the load moved.
Kind of like lower diff gears makes it easier to turn 38's. But does not make the axle stronger and it will still snap.

·
Registered
215 Posts
1 cubic yard of crushed rock = about 5000 pounds. Video this. Using snach blocks or pullies does not increase the strength of the winch cable going to the rock. A drill and some TNT would be faster and easier.
Cubic yard of crushed rock is more like 2000 pounds, a winch should be able to pull that just fine. That said, always use explosives when possible.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It makes it easier for the winch, but the full load of the rock is still on the one cable that is attached to the rock. It multiplies the power of the winch by requiring it to wind up more cable for less distance of the load moved.
Kind of like lower diff gears makes it easier to turn 38's. But does not make the axle stronger and it will still snap.
When using a snatch block to double the line, the cable is not hooked to the load. The pulley is. Each line has the same load on it. So 2 lines doubles the winch pull, 3 triples etc.

If you hook the free end of your line to an anchor (tree) the Jeep only needs to hold the winch pull. I would string out most of the cable so you get the most pull possible. Leave 5-6 wraps of cable (or whatever winch mfr recommends) on the drum.

I think you will find that rock quite hard to move.

·
Registered
705 Posts
On a lot of occasions, big rocks can be used to winch out. Please keep us apprised how it all works out and video for the crew. Good application of DET cord or a Front end loader.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts