Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys-

So I have a winching question, but it's not about winching a jeep.
I have a shop at my house, and got a good deal on a Kwik-Lift (If you're not familiar, check here: KWIKLIFT - The perfect carlift for your home garage or commercial shop).
I have come up with a way to winch a non-running vehicle up the ramps, but wanted to run it by some guys with more winching experience than me.
For ease of math, lets say the car weighs 5000 lbs, but is mounted on wheels that rotate freely. The ramps are 16ft long, with the rear of the ramps on the ground, and the fronts elevated 20".
My math says a 1500 lbs pulling capacity is about 3x more than I need. Any thoughts?

cS

·
Registered
168 Posts
Always over prepare. Everything from cable size to hooks and bolts holding it together. If you are thinking 1500 lbs is all you need I would at a minimum have a winch with the same pulling weight as the vehicle you are pulling in to the ramps. Last thing you want is to have one halfway up the ramp and stop gears in a winch that's too small or have the brake not hold sending the car off the ramps in spectacular fashion. Just my opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts