Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I just purchased and installed a Ramsey winch onto my 1987 yj. I have numerous questions about winchs and proper winching procedures. Is there a sticky or an article posted elsewhere that deals with this subjects?

thanks!!!
Jake

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
i just found this on warn's website. it is pretty thorough and should get you in the right direction. if you have any questions though, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Whatever you do, keep your hands away from the fairlead when spooling in.

I saw a competition on tv, where some dude's glove got caught & sucked his hand in.

Also keep everyone else well clear, when you have tension on the cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
put a coat, a floor mat, something on the cable while winching.... in case the cable breaks or a strap breaks the item you have put on the cable keeps it from flying back and damaging anything...

Believe it or not but it does work, because I've seen it work. Breaking winch lines is a bad deal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Warn site did help but here are a few more question about winching that I have.

1.why does a winch pull more with one layer of cable on the drum than 3???

2.why do you need the winching vehicle in neutral rather than park(with auto trans)??? damage to park mechanism?

3.I can understand having the winch cable neatly wound on the drum but why is a kink something to worry about? Weak spot?

4.when the winch is not in use, should I leave the clutch engaged or disengaged, my winch says disengaged. why?

5.should I oil the cable from time to time?

6. last question. I might need a new cable. warn webasite mentions a procedure called stretching the cable. They want the cable wound onto the drum with a bit of a load. is this to tightly wrap it for a good grip??

thanks again
Jake

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
good questions! I don't know the answers to most of them...

but for #4 about clutch engagement... ** I get confused about the term "Engage/Disengage Clutch" - does engage mean freespool?
regardless... when not in use I kept mine so that it was NOT in freespool. Otherwise the line could unspool while I'm wheeling.

congrats on your new winch. They are fun and handy to have. Also dangerous,but thats what we live for :D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Whatever you do, keep your hands away from the fairlead when spooling in.

I saw a competition on tv, where some dude's glove got caught & sucked his hand in.

Also keep everyone else well clear, when you have tension on the cable.
I saw that show too! gruesome! I'm reminded of that everytime I'm holding the cable when respooling a winch.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
The Warn site did help but here are a few more question about winching that I have.

1.why does a winch pull more with one layer of cable on the drum than 3???
Gearing, it's just like putting larger tires on your rig, when you have 3 layers of cable on the spool the spool is larger so it draws more cable in per revolution.

2.why do you need the winching vehicle in neutral rather than park(with auto trans)??? damage to park mechanism?
Yes, you shouldn't even park in park without setting the emergency brake.

3.I can understand having the winch cable neatly wound on the drum but why is a kink something to worry about? Weak spot?
Yes.

4.when the winch is not in use, should I leave the clutch engaged or disengaged, my winch says disengaged. why?
Not sure, I would want to keep a slight tension on the line to keep it from unspooling when not in use.

5.should I oil the cable from time to time?
Not unless you like greasy hands.

6. last question. I might need a new cable. warn webasite mentions a procedure called stretching the cable. They want the cable wound onto the drum with a bit of a load. is this to tightly wrap it for a good grip??
Yes.

thanks again
Jake
.02 cents

·
Registered
798 Posts
thanks again
Jake
If you don't wrap it tightly, then it will slip under load ,(until it tightens itself)
this might allow the one or two wraps closest to the load slip down between the other wraps.
This is known as a birdcage, & is not good to do.

I get confused about the term "Engage/Disengage Clutch" - does engage mean freespool?
disengage clutch= freespool, cable can be pulled out by hand.
Never touch this lever when winch is under load, or very bad things will happen!

I saw that show too! gruesome! I'm reminded of that everytime I'm holding the cable when respooling a winch.
Truth be known, every winch owner should view this footage.

Same as every angle grinder user, should watch the eye surgery footage to promote safety glass wearing.

When you see how much it sucks, (I had the eye surgery, it really does suck)
then you will remember to take precautions.

Oh, & I was wearing safety glasses. The steel sliver came over the top of them.

They polished the rust ring off with a very small ball bur. Nothing for me but numbing drops, worst 10 minutes of my entire life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts