Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gotten word on a TSB for wind noise for soft top header or seals? Going to bring the whip to the dealer but would like some ammo first. Wind noise is expected but I shouldn't be able to not hear the radio when I exceed 40mph. I've checked the seals and made sure I'm lining up correctly and the header clips are pretty damn tight but I can't find the culprit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add that the JK is more quiet with the top off then on. Thought about just getting a poncho, seat covers, pulling the carpet and going topless until winter.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well now we know what the D stands for.

Haven't heard many issues directly related to the 2015 model. Will likely require redoing the seals at the dealer.
Lighten up guy. It was tongue in cheek.

I have a soft top and with the base stereo the wind noise at highway speeds basically drown out the music unless you really crank it. Unless there is a bad seal which would probably cause a whistle or something, then it's more than likely normal.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Lighten up guy. It was tongue in cheek.

I have a soft top and with the base stereo the wind noise at highway speeds basically drown out the music unless you really crank it. Unless there is a bad seal which would probably cause a whistle or something, then it's more than likely normal.
Even with the premium top? That's the first I've heard something like that. Most people say it's close to the sound level of a hard top.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Even with the premium top? That's the first I've heard something like that. Most people say it's close to the sound level of a hard top.
I'm sure the premium is a bit quieter than the standard top and my guess is a bit louder than the hard top.

But yeah even with the premium top, when over 60 mph the weak base 130 stereo has to be cranked pretty good to be heard decently.

Still glad I got the premium over the standard though.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Have you had another Jeeper listen to it? Maybe someone local can help you track down an issue if there is one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stereo comment was to explain the level of the whistling sound. I know the factory stereos are not very good. I have a hard top also and there is no whistling sound coming specifically from one spot like the soft top has that is why I am leaning toward a problem with the seal on the soft top where it comes together with the header. Gonna hit the dealer and see if I can take another soft top for a spin to compare the noise. Again want to reiterate I realize it's a soft top and they are not meant to be a quiet ride but the whistling sound makes me believe as though there is a air gap somewhere on the passengers side.
Thanks for the input and I am down with its a jeep but it doesn't seem right to me.
Gonna take a spin with a buddy who has a late model 14 to see if he has the same issue.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Interesting you think it's one spot around the header. I wonder if the issue isn't on the windshield header since your hardtop seals fine, but on the soft top side. Since you have stated JK, I assume it's a 2 door? Have you tried unhooking everything at the door and back side so the soft top drapes loose on the frame and then latch the windshield down? After latching it down, tuck the rails in again and door trim. Maybe it's just not seating itself tight.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lusus, thanks for the thoughts. I have made several attempts trying to reseat it. I'm a very handy person and it's driving me crazy not being able to figure it out. I have not tried removing the door surrounds yet or tried installing the front first sails last. The sails last may be an issue since the top is so new it is pretty tight.
If anyone has anything to try please feel free to through your thoughts my direction. I'm planning on hitting the dealer but my schedule won't make it possible for at least a week and honestly I'd rather fix it myself then deal with getting into an argument with some nitwit in the service department at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have the standard top and in no way will I describe it as noisy, in fact I don't think it's any noisier than the hard top I also have.

I did recently figure out that if the sails are not fitted to the tub exactly correctly in line with the rear tail gate, say it's shifted around the corner a little, that throws off how the tension is placed on the fabric and it does make some flapping noise then.

If I am sure to make the sails line up with the rear tail gate than no noise at all.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the premium top, and there is a louder amount of wind noise coming from the front passenger side that is not present on the driver side. No water leaks, so it is a Jeep thing!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It hasn't rained yet since my soft top has been on so I don't know if I have any leaks coming from the suspicious air gap. I will post results after I go to the dealer. Last night I drove home with the radio on at the highest volume and my max speed was 45mph

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry hit send by accident. As I was saying volume cranked doing 45 and all I could hear was the frigging whistle coming from passenger side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the premium top and have had it at highway speeds several times already. I didn't even notice the road noise at all, so I would say you have an issue. In my opinion, the standard is quite good. I'm coming out of a MINI hard top, and they have bad road noise.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Since it's been warmer outside has the top loosened up yet? Hopefully all it needed was some sunshine and warmth to stretch out and fit tighter.

If anything, I'd start out by telling the dealer it's an issue specific to the soft top if you go that route.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Sorry hit send by accident. As I was saying volume cranked doing 45 and all I could hear was the frigging whistle coming from passenger side.
Since you use the word whistle, I'm guessing you have the same issue my 2015 Sahara had. Made it two miles off the dealer lot after picking it up and as soon as I got over 30mph the whistle was obnoxious. Turned around immediately, took the salesman for a ride, they felt air around the front edge of door, near/above exterior mirror. They ordered new seals, waited a couple days, had them installed, no better. Same whistle anytime after 30mph. Took the tech from the body shop for a ride, and he said door was out a bit much. How do they fix it? Old school metal fab. It's steel, bend that shit. One tech put himself inside the open door and another pushed against the upper window frame. Not super rough or sharp force, just enough to move it bit by bit. Total shift maybe 1/2". Immediately after when I closed the door I could feel more resistance against the seal. We went for another ride and whistle was gone.

Point of the story is, have a tech ride with you at whistle speed. Have him see of he feels wind near the leading edge of the door. If seals don't fix it, let him know about my issue and how it was resolved.

Joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts