Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a brand new Sahara unlimited 2015. When I take the Freedoom-Top off and drive at highway speed, I get a weird wind noise... sounds like a repeting click... it seem to come from the hole just above the ceiling light, left open by the removal of the FT. I've tried to simply stick a piece of fabric in there and the clicking wind noise seems to go away.

Anybody experience this ? Is this a defect you think ? maybe something is not properly bolted in ...

At lower speed it is just fine.

Thank guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2015 JKU and have the same popping/crackling noise when FT's are removed and get to about 50 or so mph. Any ideas?

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you try to lift the top a bit at that point, does it make the noise? Wondering if it's the wind lifting it up off the rail/setting it down and the rubber bumpers sticking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, I removed the sound bar and noticed that the roll bar pad had a type of white pushin plastic clip so I moved it up and down. It sounded like the same noise. So I banged it in with my fist and test drove,,, no snapping noise. Back home I took some 5200 silicone adhesive and applied at clip and reinstalled, reinstalled sound bar. Drove around highway speed of 55 to 65 mph and no snapping noise.... Fixed Finally

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm getting the same sound Max. Not sure what to do. Is it OK to run at highway speed with freedom tops off and hard top on?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have a two door. I found that with the freedom top off, sometimes the wind catching the rest of the top would cause it to bow a little up and down. The little rubber baby buggy bumpers visible in your picture would occasionally get a little knocky against the top. I cut a piece of a cheap foam mat that I have out and used a little adhesive to keep it up there and keep tension against those rubber doodads. It killed the noises that I was experiencing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On my two door it rattles a bit when front tops are out over sharp bumps. Pushing up on it in that spot you ask about makes it go away so I know that is issue but I didn't know what to do about it?

Sounds like WebDeveDan found my answer for me. Did you put said foam pad betwen top and the rubber pads?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, this is all good info. First, I will take my hard top off and look at the sound bar and try to find this plastic pushing clip. LeonR, you need to fully remove the sound bar to access this clip ? no chance to access it just by removing the hard top ? thx

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
On my two door it rattles a bit when front tops are out over sharp bumps. Pushing up on it in that spot you ask about makes it go away so I know that is issue but I didn't know what to do about it?

Sounds like WebDeveDan found my answer for me. Did you put said foam pad betwen top and the rubber pads?
I've got it on the top of the bar right below the rubber bumpers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts