Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealership to order by JK 13' and one of the added fees on was window etching for 300 dollars. Now the dealership claims that I could save money on car insurance because it is considered a theft deterrent. However I find it hard to believe that scratched numbers on a car would prevent anybody from actually stealing it. Anybody hear of the dealership throwing this bogus fee on their jeeps?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds like the same thing my dealership offered me with the addition of the vin on different parts of me jeep, (fender, bumper, etc.) that I was going to change out anyway. They wanted $500 for this theft deterrent. I declined. And I have already replaced my windshield because of trail debris. I would pass on the etching but it's your money. Hope this helps.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Window etching is a rip. Tell them you don't want it, you didn't ask for it, you won't pay for it, and it sure as hell didn't cost $300.

·
Registered
892 Posts
They are just trying to pad the price to increase profits. Window etching costs almost nothing. i believe you can buy cheap kits to do it after the sale. If you are ordering tell them you will pass on it and save the $300. You would never save that much on your insurance anyways. If they push back and say they cant tell them you are going to another dealer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it seems to be a rip off to me, I think i'll definitely tell them that I do not want it.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
They might have already etched the windows.... Just tell them you are not paying for it...simple as that. It probably cost the dealership $15 and they do it for their OWN insurance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They might have already etched the windows.... Just tell them you are not paying for it...simple as that. It probably cost the dealership $15 and they do it for their OWN insurance.
Nah they didn't etch em yet, i'm ordering a rock lobster JK. But yeah i'm definitely not paying for this BS service

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
It's the only way dealers can make profit. I went to pick my 2012 up and they added wheels, tires, step and a black grill on my white JK. They wanted an additional $1800!!! I made them strip it clean and then beat them up for another few hours for more money on my trade!!! I saw one dealer was charging $300 for window tint!!! Really?? Two windows?? Don't pay it and check with truecar for actual values and incentives. It will help you save dollars!!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
So long as they toss in nitrogen-charging of your tires, and the desert protection package (Scotch Guard on the seats), it's a good deal. But etching by itself -- def' a rip. :rofl:

... says the guys that almost got ripped off and posted a very similar Q on these forums as well :wavey:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I paid $50 to have it done on my Lightning when it was new at the suggestion of the insurance company and it did pay for itself. I wouldn't pay any more for it. Most body parts are already marked, so that's a waste.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Our town has a program once a year with the state police where they do it for free. Defintely not worth $300.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
They wanted me to pay $300 for it when I ordered my 10 Rubi. I declined. When I picked it up they etched the windows by "mistake" which was great. I believe it because I never had a problem with the dealer. Service does it when each vehicle comes in. Sales knew it was a mistake. Guess who didn't have to pay for it.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Ditto in my area.

The appropriate price to pay for dealer-added options: $0

Tell them to remove them or just zero out the cost...or you are moving on.
Yup. Check with your local police department and see if they can do it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I feel like its a commission for the finance guy. He was adamant that I had to pay because it was already done, 500$. Then he tried negotiating the price. I just left the office and went to the managers office. The manager seemed genuinely upset that I was being pressured to pay for it and straight out told the finance guy that if the customer says no then to move on.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
The General said:
I feel like its a commission for the finance guy. He was adamant that I had to pay because it was already done, 500$.
That's 100% the deal. He was hoping you would roll over and cave because "it was already done" even though you didn't ask for it. I've had them try raise interest rates because "there was a mistake in entering the info" and the first number we got was wrong. It's amazing how they do stuff like that to people because they count on you falling in love with a new vehicle and being blinded by it enough for them to add a few bucks in a couple places and increase their profit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts