Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what these black frames are for? I think they have something to do with the half door windows, but I thought half door soft windows used a metal frame.

Keep in mind I have never had the doors or any windows on this Jeep since I’ve owned it, so go easy on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,093 Posts
Those are your door surrounds for the rear driver and passenger side windows. The front of the window has a plastic piece which fits into those to keep secure.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir. I relooked at the frame parts diagram on the Quadratec site and sure enough they were on there. Not sure why I missed them the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Those are used on the soft tops to replicate the opening of a hard top. Since both the hardtop and soft top then have the same door opening, (unlike the CJ/YJs) you can use either the half doors (with soft uppers) or full doors with either top.

In reality there is a tab on the bottom of the vertical section and one on the front of the horizontal section to index the surround. Then there are two knurled screws that go through the sport bar and secure the surround in place. If you run a soft top, the surrounds are generally never removed.

I took this photo several years ago for another purpose. You can see the door surrounds in place. This was with an OEM soft top without the Sunrider feature and it is not longer either on the Jeep or in my possesion. It is on another Jeep.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
To each their own. In my neck of the woods more leave them on than take them off by a good margin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts