Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but I know there are a fair amount of people that struggle with the window zippers, especially the rear (I was one of them). At Cabela's my wife saw this tent peg puller on clearance and suggested I try it for my windows. I works amazingly! Like cutting through butter. Plus, it's small enough to throw in the console, glovebox or under the seat. Cabela's apparently doesn't carry it any more, but here's a link that's even cheaper than I paid (hope it's ok to post links).
Coghlans Easy Pull - Sportsman's Warehouse

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I just have some small cheap carbiners (key chain) attached to all of mine

·
Registered
238 Posts
I made paracord zipper pulls for all of my windows and they work great. It just gives you extra to grab. I have a white Rubicon with some green accents so I had done my pulls in black and green. Just recently did new ones in black and gray as the green was getting a little cruddy looking from the weather.

Now I am making red and black zipper pulls for all of our luggage to make THEM easier to open and to help identify our luggage quicker at airports.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
3M "Dry type" Silicone spray from a good automotive store, or paint store. The factory Mopar zipper lube actually attracts dirt and debris. First top on my TJ I used the Mopar stuff religiously, zippers got really difficult to move. With the 3M spray, my second tops zippers still work like new. Try it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
3M "Dry type" Silicone spray from a good automotive store, or paint store. The factory Mopar zipper lube actually attracts dirt and debris. First top on my TJ I used the Mopar stuff religiously, zippers got really difficult to move. With the 3M spray, my second tops zippers still work like new. Try it.
That sounds like a good idea - how do you apply?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I take my windows out to do it. Place an old towel to protect the clear window, and spray. Wipe off excess, then use damp towel to wipe the zipper on the top itself. After a few times it will get easier to apply as you develope your own "technique". The 3M dry type silicone spray is also great to spray on your door and tailgate rubber seals. It dries really fast and doesn't collect or hold dirt.
It doesn't take a lot to lube the zippers, so just do a little at a time. Trial and error, once the zipper is freely zipping, that's enough. Let us know how it works for ya.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've been using the 'Mopar stuff' for years with no problems...

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
I made paracord zipper pulls for all of my windows and they work great. It just gives you extra to grab. I have a white Rubicon with some green accents so I had done my pulls in black and green. Just recently did new ones in black and gray as the green was getting a little cruddy looking from the weather. Now I am making red and black zipper pulls for all of our luggage to make THEM easier to open and to help identify our luggage quicker at airports.
These are made in our market place. I bought a set last winter in red. Look cool and def help with the zipper. I've never had issues but hear soap or wax work well in a pinch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've used a tool for tying ice skate laces to pull the zippers. But you'd probably have to go to a hockey equipment store to buy.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Rub a common candle (wax) on the open zipper and see the difference that makes. Lasts a long time, cheap, and does not put the extra strain on the zipper that using a handle or tool can. Old Boy scout trick for stiff tent zippers. We use it on our BT Trec NX.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I take my windows out to do it. Place an old towel to protect the clear window, and spray. Wipe off excess, then use damp towel to wipe the zipper on the top itself. After a few times it will get easier to apply as you develope your own "technique". The 3M dry type silicone spray is also great to spray on your door and tailgate rubber seals. It dries really fast and doesn't collect or hold dirt.
It doesn't take a lot to lube the zippers, so just do a little at a time. Trial and error, once the zipper is freely zipping, that's enough. Let us know how it works for ya.
I went w/ the silicone a couple of days ago and found it to be effective. The zippers are quite new, but had more friction than I wanted. The silicone really seems to have made a difference. I'm glad I caught this thread, because I was considering a heavier lube--but the light lube makes more sense. I already had it on hand as I like to wipe the door seals periodically.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I installed large cable ties in the head of each zipper. keep the loop large and just stick your finger in and pull. I leave them on all the time and I am always ready to zip. Cheap and works great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts