Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we crossed into Texas on 285, a truck in the other direction sent a rougly four inch rock hurtling to the bottom right center of my windshield (as you look through it). Instant spider web, and the center "vein" has moved from bottom to top with amazing speed.

Two questions: am I safe enough to make it home to Ohio in about a week, or if I do need it replaced, any preferred OEM replacers in San Antonio (I'll be there for a day or two).

A friend had his jk windshield replaced three times for the same crack as Safelite didn't know to use the right gasket and it leaked... so I'm leery of those shenanigans. Plus, I'd like to keep the little Jeep icons as in the stock glass.

Thank you!

·
Registered
124 Posts
You'll be fine waiting, the windshield is actually 2 pieces of glass with a high strength sheet of plastic sandwiched in between...I'm a fleet mechanic and my company has an account with Safelite for our glass repairs, I wouldnt let them change the windshield on a Yugo in a junkyard after seeing the crap work they do on our trucks...

Ryan

·
Registered
117 Posts
How safe can you be with a shattered windshield? How safe it is,is up to you. If you think it's gonna fall out or whatever (it could make you crash or something!)...get it replaced asap. It might still seem pretty sound and intact..it could last a long time like that too.I've seen people ride around for years with a cracked windshield with no problems.Just my 2 cents, but I usually get them replaced as soon as I can. For the Jeep graphics you could go for the after mkt. decals, or have to go to the dealer to get an oem windshield.:)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
It will hang together, but it is citation worthy. Get it repaired as quickly as possible to avoid problems.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
What's it matter you gotta get it replaced anyways are the prices for a windshield higher in Texas than Ohio? Just get it replaced why wait and risk it when you can get it done, you will have to anyways so what's the difference?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah I would get it done ASAP, and you know how the troopers are in Ohio, they don't miss a thing. That is if you don't get a ticket before you even reach Ohio.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As we crossed into Texas on 285, a truck in the other direction sent a rougly four inch rock hurtling to the bottom right center of my windshield (as you look through it). Instant spider web, and the center "vein" has moved from bottom to top with amazing speed.

Two questions: am I safe enough to make it home to Ohio in about a week, or if I do need it replaced, any preferred OEM replacers in San Antonio (I'll be there for a day or two).

A friend had his jk windshield replaced three times for the same crack as Safelite didn't know to use the right gasket and it leaked... so I'm leery of those shenanigans. Plus, I'd like to keep the little Jeep icons as in the stock glass.

Thank you!

I'm glad no one was hurt. A four inch rock hitting a windshield full blast sounds very dangerous.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main reason for wanting to wait is that I have heard horror stories of windshields being replaced poorly, with leaks, goopy sealant use, failure to use the correct gasket, and paint damage. If someone does a poor install in Ohio, I can bring it back. In Texas, I am about 1800 miles from home. If it leaks in a week after it is installed, I'm screwed.

·
Registered
900 Posts
might run the risk of a ticket. Some states frown on obstruction of view.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The main reason for wanting to wait is that I have heard horror stories of windshields being replaced poorly, with leaks, goopy sealant use, failure to use the correct gasket, and paint damage. If someone does a poor install in Ohio, I can bring it back. In Texas, I am about 1800 miles from home. If it leaks in a week after it is installed, I'm screwed.
Find a glass company that is franchised nationally, such as Safelite (no connect to me). They will honor their warranty anywhere in the US. If I wasn't in a particular rush and had 1800 miles ahead, I'd get it fixed. It would be extremely aggravating, not to mention possibly hazardous to drive the vehicle in that condition.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Oh sure, blame it all on Texas. And watch out for those toothless Texas windshield-repair guys...I heard they go commando under their overalls.

I see what you're saying. It's pretty obvious, though you tried to justify it by claiming you'd rather get it fixed near "home." Okay. Whatever.

Lone star hater. :flipoff:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL... actually, it was some homegrown Ohio fuggups who prompted my fear.

So far, the cracks are spreading but my view is ok... and we have left the Lone Star state and am chilling in NOLA. Next stop is a two day stint in AL... if it's worse, I may do it there.

I hear y'all on Safelite.. but man, they were not so hot in past replacements. We'll see. Thanks for all of the replies.

·
Premium Member
62,805 Posts
What part of AL? My uncle owns a glass company in Pelham(outside Birmingham). I'll make a call if needed to make sure a fellow Jeeper is taken care of

·
Registered
22,334 Posts
gixxerphil said:
No, but if you ever make it to AL, I'll be sure to tell him to charge you double:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually my uncle owns a silver LJ Rubi:drool:, so he knows the Jeepin lifestyle:D
Ahh thanks! :rofl:

·
Registered
22,334 Posts
To the OP... If you don't fix it and you're in an accident before you get it fixed... It can't do its job and protect you and your other occupants, nor can it provide the extra support to the front . Fix it as soon as you can..

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Phil... thanks... I didn't see this until now, and I'm through B'ham and on to Huntsville.
(!_57!))6; "945& 9% Huntsville, so a couple of hours or so north of your uncle).

I'll get it done when I get home next week. Called the insurance company... zero d on glass, so there's the good news. I already did a safelite chip repair last year, but this one is a goner.

·
Registered
37 Posts
had my windshield repaired twice and replaced at least 3 times on my old Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr

Safelite did it every single time and every single time it was perfect

I always get it done ASAP

·
Registered
435 Posts
Pennst8r said:
had my windshield repaired twice and replaced at least 3 times on my old Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr

Safelite did it every single time and every single time it was perfect

I always get it done ASAP
I had my windshield replaced by safelight yesterday on my 2011 wrangler and he Dented the front.
But he swung the door open all the way when he climbed up on to the jam. He also ripped out the drivers side wiring harness.

Called their company and they tried to say that their tech's always are careful, never damage and always inspect afterwards. That the damage might have been old from off roading.
I interrupted her and said "Lady I have it on film".
She told me that's good to have a picture of the damage. She said her boss would call me when he's free.

I said "lady I have it on film, meaning I recorded him doing the damage!".

Oh you have a cammera?

Yes lady I do, my security camera recorded the whole thing.

"Oh", she says.

The company insurance called 20 minutes later and ask me to fax in an estimate.

The body shop just sent me the estimate of $1400.

Now I was home with the jeep when it happened. I asked the guy if he wanted me to take off the top panels. He said no.
He also asked me to come out and help lift it into place, just to me safe. No problem, I helped lift it.

Of course, he had already damaged both front fenders and was in a hurry to run before I saw it.

Thank goodness for security cameras.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts